Remove windshield wipers..

-

Richard McLaughlin

1974 Duster 340
Reaction score
IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1689.JPG
I was thinking of removing the wiper arms and painting them black. I think they would look much better.
Any ideas? Input?

How do it remove them?

A little tab under arm that has to be pulled back while you are prying up to slide them off the splined shaft. I use a claw hammer or prybar type of tool. Putting something under it to protect paint.
There is a special tool for it as well

The black paint will most likely get blasted off in short order though...especially if you drive on the hiway alot

The arm has to be lifted up agains the spring in order to release the lock tab. Have a look, you will see...

Black might blend in well on your car and look alright but personally I dont like the loom of blacked out trim.

I hear ya... not going all black. Just find the wipers kinda ugly. Still have chrome bumpers, mirrors, door handles etc etc...
The black paint will most likely get blasted off in short order though...especially if you drive on the hiway alot
r

IMG_8746.PNG
I really like Sem Dye products. I sprayed my GT trim and trunk finish panel 18 years ago and it still looks awesome! Scuff wipers with red scotch brite, acid etch prime and spray with Sem Dye. I used the trim black, it has a nice satin look

I don't think you will need to take them off to paint them. Just mask everything off real good.
You alwway run the risk of chipping your paint while removing them unless you have the special tool/.

Use this tool, hook the end of the arm, then pull the spring loaded part of the arm towards the tool. After that it'll slide straight up off the splined shaft. I vote not to paint them and replace the wipers with non-black original style.

3.jpg

I don't see how that could work, the idea is to relieve the spring tension from against the windshield so it's free to slide off the splined shaft. In other words, the arm needs to pulled toward you with no binding on the splined shaft. The tool I posted makes removing/installing a the arms a 2 second job.

-
Back