Removing a Tranny Dip Stick Tube

-

Gator

Mopar or No Car
Reaction score
Ok bit of a problem here. During my Header replacement install in my 340 Duster and when tilting the motor up on the passenger side my dip stick tube may have got into a bind against the fire wall because now their is oil leaking out from around the base of the tube. My question is what is the best and easiest way to remove the tube without causing further damage so that I can see where it is cracked or where ever the problem lies... Thanks

Dip stick tube slides right out of later model transmissions, just pull the proper engine to bell mounting bolt. The early ones had a bolt down provision at the trans itself, down into the case.... many times encased in crud and not visible. Make sure of the one you have...the tubes only in an inch and a quarter or so.... should slide right out. Strong chance nothing cracked just tweaked the o-ring hard. I always apply some Permatex grey over the o-ring and assemble wet once you know you won't be tweaking any more.

Dip stick tube slides right out of later model transmissions, just pull the proper engine to bell mounting bolt. The early ones had a bolt down provision at the trans itself, down into the case.... many times encased in crud and not visible. Make sure of the one you have...the tubes only in an inch and a quarter or so.... should slide right out. Strong chance nothing cracked just tweaked the o-ring hard. I always apply some Permatex grey over the o-ring and assemble wet once you know you won't be tweaking any more.
Ok Thanks Lefty71...

They can sometimes be a real pain to remove when O-ring gets hard with age. I have sprayed O-ring area with penetrating oil and then used thin jawed vise grips clamped into top of tube and then twist/pull with vise grips. If it's really stuck, I have taken a long prybar from underneath car, and put end of prybar on dipstick tube attaching bracket, and hammered up on head of prybar. Sometimes with a helper, doing both at same time.

When you take it out ATF will be coming out so get a drain pan under there.

yes removing the pan and hitting the tube from the bottom is really the best way to not damage anything.

The tube may no longer be round at the base. You may need a new dipstick tube.

Problem solved. The tube somehow came out about a 1/2" when I had tilted the motor and then when I anchored the tube bracket back onto the stud I never paid any attention to it. So I was able to push the tube back into place. Started up while on still on the jack stands and ran in drive. Checked underneath and no tranny fluid on the floor or signs of sepage. So thanks guys for all of your feedback..

-
Back