Removing AC from my 340, how to non-AC belts get run?

-

1967GTX440

Life is Short so Enjoy your Ride!
Reaction score
Hi Guys - I just picked up a 73 Duster that's been converted from a factory 318/904/7.25 car over to a 1970 340, worked 904, 8-1/4 SG car. The car had AC from the factory but was only 50% installed - I've decided to yank the system out of the car and was wondering how belts ran on the non AC 340 cars? Currently I have two belts, 1.) the power steering belt runs on the front crank groove, around the only groove on the water pump, then of course over to the p.steering pump. 2.) the AC/Alt belt (only have one belt) runs from the back groove (3 groove crank pulley), up past the neck on the water pump, to the AC pulley, and over to the alternator.

My question is, can I run a single belt from the crank over to the Alternator? Or do I need to find a double groove water pump pulley to accomidate the two belts once the AC compressor is removed?

Thanks for your help!

Dave C
73 Duster

ontheriver_zps66506143.jpg

10-29-12001_zps8c403f78.jpg

Thanks Formula!!

Now the issue becomes; if the ps belt goes around the water pump pulley and the front groove on the crank, and the alt belt goes around the back groove on the crank and the front groove on the alt, seems like I'd need a real deep WPump pulley to accomidate the alt belt - and so the games begin.

I appreciate the reply again - thanks :prayer:

Dave C

The power steering belt goes around the crank and PS pully only. The alternator goes around the water pump and crank pulley. The belt that goes around the alternator, water pump and the crank is closest to the engine block and the belt which only goes around the PS pump and the crank is closest to the radiator. When I did mine I needed to change the water pump pully and the crank pully to the "without AC pulleys" Hope this helps.

The power steering belt goes around the crank and PS pully only. The alternator goes around the water pump and crank pulley. The belt that goes around the alternator, water pump and the crank is closest to the engine block and the belt which only goes around the PS pump and the crank is closest to the radiator. When I did mine I needed to change the water pump pully and the crank pully to the "without AC pulleys" Hope this helps.

Just went out to verify the belt routing and updated/edited my previous post.

-
Back