Removing bellhousing alignment dowells

-

rklein383

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to remove bellhousing alignment dowells while the engine is still in the car? (Besides the obvious, remove the engine)
Thanks,
Rod

I've always just used channel lock pliers, or vise grips.
If you ding them up a little you can always sand them down.
Grab onto it, and twist as you pull out.

Tried that, no luck so far. I am replacing them with offset dowells so I don't care what happens to them as long as they come out.
Rod

I've always just used channel lock pliers, or vise grips.
If you ding them up a little you can always sand them down.
Grab onto it, and twist as you pull out.

The problem is there is things in the way, like the firewall, header collectors, flywheel. I think there is no other option than pulling engine. I wanted to change my headers for a long time anyway.
Rod

pipe wrench !!

Never tried with the engine in the car so I don't know about the clearance issues. I've found that the easiest way for me to remove the bellhousing alignment dowels is to drill the center of the dowel with a letter F drill and tap the stud with a 5/16 course tap. Screw a 5/16 bolt through the stud and push the dowel out. It works so easy that I now drill through the offset bellhousing dowels from the back (the part that pushes into the block), BEFORE I install them, so I can easily tap them while they are in the block and push them out if I have to change the dowel rotation.

Never thought of that- sounds like a hell of an idea. Will add that to my mental database-thanks!

ok heres a little trick i have used in the past.Use a small propane torch heat up the area around the pins not real hot just hot enough to melt some candle wax on the pins let cool repeat couple times watching for wax flare up once it cools the wax is sucked in and now vise grips can remove the pins ....This works well for exhaust studs and lower control arm bushings and most things that get stuck.

That's one heck of a good tip there.

I pulled the engine and got one of the dowell pins out with vise grips.

The second one I butchered so bad that I drilled a hole in a piece of 1/8 scrap metal and welded it to the dowell pin. It came out with a little help from my son prying on the scrap metal while I twisted.

I wish I would have drilled a hole in the new ones but I got the bellhousing back in spec with the first attempt with .007 offset dowell pins.

Thanks,
Rod

Never tried with the engine in the car so I don't know about the clearance issues. I've found that the easiest way for me to remove the bellhousing alignment dowels is to drill the center of the dowel with a letter F drill and tap the stud with a 5/16 course tap. Screw a 5/16 bolt through the stud and push the dowel out. It works so easy that I now drill through the offset bellhousing dowels from the back (the part that pushes into the block), BEFORE I install them, so I can easily tap them while they are in the block and push them out if I have to change the dowel rotation.

-
Back