-

dustertogo

Reaction score
HELP me before I:

a) go crazy
b) tear something up
c) kill something or somebody
d) increase my "bad" vocabulary

Please give me your best tips,tricks,or whatever for removing this @#?! spring.

I just went outside and looked at mine. There is a "U" shaped bracket that holds the spring on the front to the steering frame. You might to need take the clutch adjusting rod lose and let the pressure off of the spring. The pedal will go to the floor. Then pry the spring off the "U" shaped bracket with a screw driver or pry the bracket off of the steering frame. This is the way I would try first but I have never removed the spring so I'm just trying to help.

You must be adding a better pressure plate than the stock.

Thanks for the reply. Mine spring in hooked over a "pin" coming off the side of the clutch pedal but there is a groove on the "pin" that the spring fits in an a large end on the "pin" to keep the spring from sliding off. So it looks like you have to strech the spring enough to allow it to clear the large end of the "pin" so it will come off.........I haven't been able to do that yet.

Thanks for the reply. Mine spring in hooked over a "pin" coming off the side of the clutch pedal but there is a groove on the "pin" that the spring fits in an a large end on the "pin" to keep the spring from sliding off. So it looks like you have to strech the spring enough to allow it to clear the large end of the "pin" so it will come off.........I haven't been able to do that yet.

Yeah I know what you are talking about. I would attempt to remove it from the other side (closer to the steering wheel) because you don't have much room closer to the fire wall to work. Up front you have room and also have leverage points to place the screw driver or pry bar.

Have you found the "U" shaped bracket I was talking about? It is holding the other end of the spring.

I'm going to tackle it again probably tomorrow night. I'll look at going at it from the other end as you suggest and see if things go a little better. Thanks again.

I'm going to tackle it again probably tomorrow night. I'll look at going at it from the other end as you suggest and see if things go a little better. Thanks again.

Let me know how it goes cause I will eventually have to do the same thing.

If you plan to lose the spring forever, a cut off wheel in a die grinder works wonders. Either that, an 8 foot pry bar, or turn into The Hulk.

Grumpus, I was really,really close to going for the cut off wheel the other day.........still a real good possibility LOL.

this topic has been talked about before,, i remember some one saying to use a brake spring tool,, good luck

If you remove the pedal stop so you can swing the pedal farther back it will lessen the tension on the spring and basically fall off.

Chuck

Grumpus, I was really,really close to going for the cut off wheel the other day.........still a real good possibility LOL.

I thought the same thing.

I still don't know why I would keep the dang spring in the first place.

Just the pack rat part of me wants it to stay in one piece just in case I want to put it back for some unknown reason. LOL

some one else came up with this. push in the pedal to stretch the spring and then slip some flat washers in between the coils. then let the pedal out. the washers will keep the spring stretched and it should come off. i havent tried this myself but it was posted awhile back. makes sense.

some one else came up with this. push in the pedal to stretch the spring and then slip some flat washers in between the coils. then let the pedal out. the washers will keep the spring stretched and it should come off. i havent tried this myself but it was posted awhile back. makes sense.

sounds like a winner

I bet that will work!

Yep,

Dimes work too...

I think I understand why the spring needs to be removed but just want to now for sure.

Is it because the pressure plate has so much more pressure than stock that it will keep the pedal in the up position? Or is it some other reason?

Thats what I've always done, works great.

mullinax95 no its not because the pressure plate has more pressure than stock. noramally it is because the use of a diaphram style pressure plate or hydrolic type slave cylinder. diaphram clutches normally can have the same or more clamping force with less pedal effort. therefore this causes the clutch pedal to return to at rest position slow, or in my case not at all.
by the way thanx for the trick with washers im going to try that tonight.

If not going to hydraulic clutch put the new clutch in and try it first before just removing the overcenter spring because instructions or someone else says to.

I run the overcenter with my dual friction center force and have also run it with my hays strip clutch. good luck

mullinax95 no its not because the pressure plate has more pressure than stock. noramally it is because the use of a diaphram style pressure plate or hydrolic type slave cylinder. diaphram clutches normally can have the same or more clamping force with less pedal effort. therefore this causes the clutch pedal to return to at rest position slow, or in my case not at all.
by the way thanx for the trick with washers im going to try that tonight.

Thanks... I didn't really know why but I figured it had something to do with it.

All I know is I removed mine because Wayne at Brewers told me to remove it and that's why I did. The clutch is actually easier to push in and hold now than it was with the stock pressure plate and the overcenter spring.

I did the washers in the spring trick and it was STILL A PAIN IN THE *** TO GET OUT! I packed 6 or 7 washers in it and took a short pry bar to it and it finally popped off! I just about got my grinder out and was going to cut it off but at the time I didn't know how my clutch was going to feel with the diaphragm and might use it again. Those washers are still stuck in the spring from when the spring came out the spring collapsed. It has a lot of pressure on it! Good Luck!

-
Back