Removing Dash pad/ac unit

-

matarcher

65dartonly
Reaction score
i see that alot of you want to replace your dash, I want mine gone. can anyone tell me how to get it off with out taking the whole dash out. and can i remove the heater/ac unit also with out taking out the dash?

i see that alot of you want to replace your dash, I want mine gone. can anyone tell me how to get it off with out taking the whole dash out. and can i remove the heater/ac unit also with out taking out the dash?

If you're referring to your 65 GT, yes you can remove both the dash pad and heater/ac unit without removing the dash. To remove the dash pad the easiest way is to remove the instrument cluster and glove box. At each far corner you'll need a phillips head screwdriver to remove the screw at each corner. Then remove the 5 or so pal nuts - 2 under the instrument cluster, 2 under the glove box opening and the hardest one right smack dab in the middle hiidden by the heater/AC controls. Keep in mind that removal of the dash pad is gonna leave holes in your metal dash. To remove the heater/AC controls you need to remove the sliding knobs first. IIRC they are held on by a small (1/8th inch hex set screw). Then remove the bezel (held in place by 4 pal nuts at each corner). Remove the screws holding the control unit. You'll probably have to remove the radio to get access/removal of this stuff. The heater/AC unit is held in place by 4 or 5 nuts on the engine side of the firewall; then just a matter of getting it out of there. Be forewarned that if replacing it with a heater only unit, the blower motor is smaller than the blower for the heater/AC unit plus the firewall is totally different in the blower area not allowing one to use a regular blower without doing quite a bit of work to the firewall in that area.. I've done the opposite on my 65 GT convert - added factory air to a non-air car. If you decide to do all this, I'd be interested in all your factory air stuff. Hope all this helps.

thank you, i'm actually going to keep the factory air. i need to send the unit out ot be rebuilt. as for the dash pad i will think about hte holes i will probabaly just fill them in. i just dont like the bulkyness for the pad. once again thank you for the instructions. i will let you know how it goes

I hated my dash pad on my '65 barracuda. I took it off and it looks GREAT!!!!! It is even painted underneath from the factory and just looks WAY BETTER!!!! I'll never put one back on there.

-
Back