Removing factory applied (for shipping) paint protection?

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
Washed the wife's white 2015 Journey RT yesterday. Noticed there is A LOT of residue, from the factory applied (for shipping) paint protection on the roof. Does NOT come off with the sponge and Meguiars car wash product. How do I remove this stuff?

That should have been done before you picked up the thing.
Take it back and make the dealer do it, because if for some reason it screws up the paint coming off you won't be responsible for new roof paint.

That should have been done before you picked up the thing.
Take it back and make the dealer do it, because if for some reason it screws up the paint coming off you won't be responsible for new roof paint.

Exactly. You were charged for dealer prep. New care get ready. However it's written today, you payed for a clean car.

bug and tar remover, acrasafe, prepsol... many names and brands for this product. Go to your local car paint supplier ( body shop supplier ) and ask for this remover.... or as stated above, take it back to the dealer and get what you paid for

Take it to the dealer, the factory put it on, let them take it off...

Yes, I agree the dealer should've been prepped better. It's just a lease car, and trips back to the dealer are such a hassle (time away from work, the wife's schedule, etc...) I was hoping I could find something to use to remove this stuff quickly at home.

Yes, I agree the dealer should've been prepped better. It's just a lease car, and trips back to the dealer are such a hassle (time away from work, the wife's schedule, etc...) I was hoping I could find something to use to remove this stuff quickly at home.

There may be some options:

Some dealers will pick you up or drop you off if you are not too far.

In some cases, I've had the service manager offer to give me a free loaner while my car was in their shop.

If necessary talk to the sales manager or service manager and explain to them that the residue should have been removed before the car was delivered, and that this should not be an inconvenience to you. Try to ask in a reasonable tone, you may be able to get them to accomodate you.

Did you buy it in Richmond? they are the only dealer around here that uses that stuff. give them a call see what they recommend.

-
Back