Removing Guage Cluster

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Hey I'm trying to remove just the guage cluster in my 70 Dart. Is there a trick to it? It seems to want to come out but then the bottom of the guage cluster catches on the metal of the dash and won't come out. Am I supposed to unplug everything before trying to take it out? I was hoping I wouldn't have to so I can remember what goes where. Thanks.

Mike

Hey I'm trying to remove just the guage cluster in my 70 Dart. Is there a trick to it? It seems to want to come out but then the bottom of the guage cluster catches on the metal of the dash and won't come out. Am I supposed to unplug everything before trying to take it out? I was hoping I wouldn't have to so I can remember what goes where. Thanks.

Mike

Not exactly sue about the 70.........BUT, you have to take the 2 nuts off the back of the Amp gauge.......2 studs, with 2 nuts........a real pain........ The headlight switch needs to be unplugged (if it's in the bezel)....also a pain....the wiper switch also has a plug (you can take the "spanner nuts" off the headlight switch and wiper also....then leave the plugs on...a little easier, if you can spin the nuts off) and there should be a circular plug that runs all of the lights and such that needs to be unplugged..........then the speedo cable...(that's a "squeeze" and pull type).

There really wasn't too much slack on those cables and wires to work with............a real short leash..........you'll probably have to pull it out a little, and start unplugging stuff..........

Not sure on that model again, but on some, it's a good idea to loosen the nuts on the underside of the steering column, and drop it down a little to give you more room to get that cluster out.

Haha, this sounds like it's going to be fun :snakeman:. Well, if it gets to be too much a PITA then I'll just leave it in. So who cares if all the lights are dead and the only guage that sort of works is the AMPS.

It can be a pain, but if you take your time, it won't be bad.........

If you can post a pic of the cluster so I'm sure of what it is, I can probably walk you through it..................

i just got through doing this for the wifes 71 dart. it has the long sweeping type (left to right) speedo set up. it is a pain to say the least to get it out. i have the cuts to prove it! it sounds like you have the same problem with yours i had as well. it only had the speedo and the amp gauge working with the oil light . here is what you need to do to get it out.....the bulb scockets all need to come out. the amp wires can stay connected until you can turn it down and out some then they need to be unhooked as well. there is 2 connectors on the back for the 2 circuit boards. they need to be disconnected before the dash it taken out as well. column will need to be dropped. windsheild wiper switch and headlight switch are not really in the way but it does help a little to remove them as well. you will have to tilt the top of the cluster towards you. be careful when takeing it out . lay a soft cloth on top of the colmn as to not scratch the cluster on the cloumn. once it is out take the bottom of the dash that it sits on and pull it forward some as to open it up some. this will make it alot easier going back in. your problem as to why the temp gauge and the fuel gauge is not working is most likely the metal voltage regualtor on the back of the left side. if this has failed the lights will work for the gauges but the gauges are dead. sadly they are almost always toast as well. when the regulator fails it sends full voltage to the gauges and burns them up by pegging them. i had to send mine off to get mine fixed and got them recalibrated as well. i sent mine to auto instruments. http://autoinstruments.com/index.html. cost with shipping for the repair was 125.00. the regulator is about 55.00 itself. the one they use is a solid state kind that if it fails it just shuts down and dosent destroy the gauges. i was lucky as i had a backup set i just sent them in with my instrument panel. so in a nut shell it is a frustrating job but if you are like me i can't stand not to have at least the gas gauge working. also while the dash is out replace the bulbs (168) with 194's. it will be alot brighter!

Mike, I am going to assume that yours is a rallye guage cluster with the round pods. I can have the cluster out of my 67 cuda in about 5 minutes. Reaching under and removing the speedo cable, light switch plug, wiper plug, and circuit board plugs is pretty easy, just be careful when removing the circuit board plugs as the pins on the circuit board are very vunerable to breaking and staying in the plug, especially if they have not been removed before. The amp meter wires are also accessible from underneath with a nut driver, and of course the battery disconnected. Don't forget the ground wire from the condenser, and loosen and drop the steering column so it can tip out from the top and lift out. Don't worry about where all of the plugs go, they will all be in line with their respective switches, and they are all configured to only plug into the switch they were meant for. Brush a light coating of dielectric grease on all of the terminals before putting it back together, it helps to stop corrosion and makes it easier the next few times you take the cluster out. What??? You don't plan on taking it out again??? Neither did I until I bought a tach, then found a 150 speedo, then replaced the bezel, then did the volt meter thing, then... well, you get the picture. Good luck with the cluster, it's really not a bad job. Geof

Geof, the bezel isn't the ralley style, its just the long straight flat speedometer style, but thank you for your response. You make it all sound so easy. And thank you everyone else for your input, I'll give it another go in a day or so.

-
Back