removing head rests

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a 1970 Dart Swinger. I want to remove the headrests cause I need to re do the seats. I saw the one thread that says to pull them out? Well, I tried that on both driver and passenger side and it ain't happening. So.....how do you remve the head rests? Thanks all!

Not sure about the 70 dart , but my 68 Cuda they pull right out , of course it took a pretty good tug on one of them
good luck
Donnie

Back in 88 when I bought my first 70 Swinger, I couldn't get them out until I folded each seat forward and hit the headrest from "below" with a 2x4. It didn't damage mine, but I can't guarantee your success.

I think you have to raise the head rest up all the way and remove the screws from the base that is on the seat. You have to use a stubby screwdriver. Then the whole thing will come out. If I remember right there is one hidden notch in the posts that the flat spring can't get past until the bases are removed. Let us know please. Good luck.

I tried to remove the plastic base from the seat. That didn't work. So........I tried using a big crow bar, stuck it between the posts of the head rest and gave a quick bump up and they both came out just like that! Real easy. So, they do come out by yanking them out. Thanks!

Reminds me of the time I had a particularly stubborn set. I stood a tire and wheel up in the front seat, then got in the back seat with a 2x6 which I stuck between the posts on the headrest onto the top of the tire. I then used the tire to pry against for leverage and the headrests popped right out!
Dallas

I tried to remove the plastic base from the seat. That didn't work. So........I tried using a big crow bar, stuck it between the posts of the head rest and gave a quick bump up and they both came out just like that! Real easy. So, they do come out by yanking them out. Thanks!

Ya just give them a good hard pull.

-
Back