Removing Instrument Bezel Lens

-

scatpackbee

Reaction score
Hey Fellow FABOers,

What is the best way to remove the instrument bezel lens on my ‘69 Dart so I don’t screw myself when I try to re-install it?

Also, what polishing compound have you used with good results on the lens and what is the best way to re-secure it to the bezel?

Thank you,

F47FC401-AB7C-4763-8927-0DEB664DF041.jpeg

D8E5668E-7DE3-449E-9451-6A0EB23495D4.jpeg

44B5DD39-1B7A-4F71-907B-B0D5050B2BAF.jpeg

On my Duster bezel I used an exacto knife to cut off the deformed/melted plastic pieces that are holding the lens on. Cut off the least amount of plastic there as possible so you have some left to reattach it.

I used a 3 stage compound kit from 3M that I use to buff my paint with. Wet sanded with 2000 grit. Started with the most aggressive compound with a small wool pad on my drill. Then I put a foam pad on and used the last 2 compounds that get less aggressive with each change. That got out all the scratches and it looked brand new. You probably don't want to go that far so maybe try PlastX by meguiars if you just want one bottle to do the job.

I then put the lens back on the bezel over the plastic posts and I used a soldering iron to remelt them back over the lens. Someone may have a better way of doing it than me though.

Use a soldering gun tip to soften the pegs and work the bezel off. Try to reshape the pegs vs breaking them so you can then reuse the plastic to put it back. Some broken plastic can be used to rebuild the pegs if need be when reinstalling.
beerestoration2018 1061.JPG

My favourite cleaner.. and my sandpaper fingers.
beerestoration2018 924.JPG

beerestoration2018 926.JPG

I'll be doing the same on my '64 Valiant panel. I am planning to use the RainX headlight lens polishing kit I used on my wifes car. It worked well in that application.

-
Back