Removing painted on pinstriping

-

scott2683

Reaction score
The guy I bought my duster off of had some pinstripes painted on his car after it was repainted. Does anyone have any suggestions or best practices for removing the pinstripes? I've watched a couple videos where guys have used lacquer thinner and had pretty good luck. I just don't want to mess up the clear coat.

Thanks for the help!

Take a razor blade and wrap a piece of scotch tape around the blade on each side. then use the center of the blade to knock down the high spots for the stripe, then try solvent or buff off the rest. The thickness of the tape will be just enough to keep the edge of the blade above the paint surface and not scratch it....

If it was put on with 1shot or another good pinstriping paint, the laquer thinner will not take it off without significant scrubbing and damaging effort. The razor blade and tape is a good option. That's how our striper removes mistakes or changes a line when he paints names on our varnished boats. It works out.

That's awesome, thanks for the advice. I've would have never thought of that! I greatly appreciate the input.

-
Back