removing Parking brake cable.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Is there an easier way to remove the parking brake cable from the backing plate? I seem to be fighting with it chasing the little prongs around trying to press them in to pull it out.

Use a small worm drive hose clamp to squeeze the fingers in and then tap it through

there is actuall a tool for taking them out that works great here it is
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-40800-Parking-Brake-Remover/dp/B0002SQUA4"]Amazon.com: Lisle 40800 Parking Brake Cable Remover: Automotive[/ame]

Is there an easier way to remove the parking brake cable from the backing plate? I seem to be fighting with it chasing the little prongs around trying to press them in to pull it out.

What I usually do is clamp 2 of the tabs with a needle nose vice grip far enough up to get it started through the hole and push on the third prong with a screwdriver, pull and wiggle from the outside until it starts through.

That tool is nice, i may have to make one of those.

I use an appropriate size boxed end wrench. Disconnect the cable and slip a boxed wrench down over the locking tabs to compress them then pull the cable through the backing plate or bracket.

Brian

I use an appropriate size boxed end wrench. Disconnect the cable and slip a boxed wrench down over the locking tabs to compress them then pull the cable through the backing plate or bracket.

Brian

Now why didn't I think of that. :banghead:

-
Back