Removing steering column cancell-ator

-

dfoyl

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am in the process of rebuilding my steering column, and have a second column as a guide for the rebuild. As part of this process I am partially dis-assembling the second column to work out how to put it back together (I pulled the first column apart years ago), and am stuck on how to remove the cancell-ator section as shown below :

IMG_1258_zps94t9dxjv.jpg

As you can see I have removed the three Philips head screws that appear to attach the plastic part to the column. The bottom section can move around a bit, but the top appears to be stuck down pretty well (I don't want to use excess force as the plastic will likely break).

I have the "good" column already apart and here are a couple photos of the part already removed :
IMG_1259_zpsyvin4kpd.jpg

Back view:
IMG_1260_zpsyycigtju.jpg

Any suggestions ?

Hi all,
I am in the process of rebuilding my steering column, and have a second column as a guide for the rebuild. As part of this process I am partially dis-assembling the second column to work out how to put it back together (I pulled the first column apart years ago), and am stuck on how to remove the cancell-ator section as shown below :

View attachment 1714920095

As you can see I have removed the three Philips head screws that appear to attach the plastic part to the column. The bottom section can move around a bit, but the top appears to be stuck down pretty well (I don't want to use excess force as the plastic will likely break).

I have the "good" column already apart and here are a couple photos of the part already removed :
View attachment 1714920096
Back view:
View attachment 1714920097
Any suggestions ?

Strange, that piece should come right out after you removed the 3 screws. Looks rusty? Did you try spraying some WD40 aroundn it? Also since you have a new piece to replace, there is no harm in just prying it out and letting it break apart. right?

I can't tell from your pics, but to remove it the turn signal arm has to be removed, the three screws need to come out, remove the metal plate that the 3 screws held down, unplug the wiring coming out of the steering column, then you have to removethe pins from the wiring connector. If I remember correctly, this is done with a small screwdriver. Then you can pull the whole switch, and wiring up out the top of the column. Hopefully you noted which wires go where in the connector before you removed them.

I can't tell from your pics, but to remove it the turn signal arm has to be removed, the three screws need to come out, remove the metal plate that the 3 screws held down, unplug the wiring coming out of the steering column, then you have to removethe pins from the wiring connector. If I remember correctly, this is done with a small screwdriver. Then you can pull the whole switch, and wiring up out the top of the column. Hopefully you noted which wires go where in the connector before you removed them.

-
Back