removing upper control arm bushings

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
how does one get the bushing out of the upper control arms? I've tried making a puller of sorts out of a ball joint puller, I've added penatrating oil, heat and lots of torque. nothings moving.

This on top of the need to weld in my ball joints is enough to make me reconsider buying new control arms... with the new bushing preinstalled :p

:banghead:

p.s. i've been sitting on this so long that the city finally found my car is sitting in the driveway on jacks and now they on my case, so I need to get this done and the damn control arms are holding me back...

Attachments

• IMG_3349.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 400
Where in California are you? If your half way close to San Bernardino, you're welcome to come over here and I'll pop them out and put the new ones in for you. No problem.

Russ.

I use a press to remove the rubber and inner shell. Weld a thick washer to the outer shell and back to the press with it.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=156654

Take a look at the "linked" posting above.
Another member invented a neat homemade tool to remove the bushings.
From your picture i think i noticed that your existing bushing has one of those reinforcement, round collars to it.
In my experience with ones that have those collars, they are pretty rusted to an old bushing itself.
Then you pretty much need to get a cut off wheel, and cut that collar off.
Or use a hydraulic press to press it out, with the receiving end of the arm braced with large diameter socket, or something, then press out the bushing.
A "flame wrench" would be nice too, to burn away, melt away, the bushing.
Do what ya gotta do, to get them out.

man md318's tool is basically the same as what I got. all he needs is an extra washer to help distribute the pressure and I need the vise.. :banghead:

got some ideas from your link, Thanks

-
Back