Repaint or not? FC7

-

lee01

Reaction score
So i got a dilemma.

I bought a very nice 1971 Duster, the body and chassis as been restored to make a solid driver.

Now to be honest, I bought it in order to resale (and have a project for winter) and buy a 69 Charger.

My dilemma....The body is nice, rust free and painted blue...but the fender tag call's for FC7 which is in viloet (or Plum Crazy)
one of the nicest high impact color from Ma Mopar (imo).

Now, its non-matching number car, but since its all apart and it wouldn't take much to sand it and repaint the car in violet. I was quote between 2000-2500 of a color change (and small repair).

What you guys think? Leave it as-is, blue or take the money for a repaint.

Will it worth more? The chassis is solid, but all black and its showing sign of repair. No ways its ever gonna be a show winner, but a hell of a nice driver.
DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

I'm not a fan of the stripe on the side, however if your goal is to flip this car that paint is petty sharp. I would put it back together and sell it, you probably wont get your money back on it if you repaint it.

You can advertise it as a plum crazy car and let the next owner fix it if they want.

It Just looks so darn good. It'd be a shame to repaint it. But a Factory PCP Car should be PCP. I don't know why the PO went through all that trouble to paint it the wrong color. They Must not like Purple.

if i were to keep it, i would get rid of that gawdy homemade 440 hockey stripe looking thingy and paint it purple. but since this car is going to new home, i would put it back together as is.

I was going to say leave it till I saw the stripe on the side. lol The stripe would bother me more then it being the wrong color.
The problem with stripe like that is they are so personal that chances are if you go to sell they will be a big turn off top most. Thats probably why I do my cars 90% stock now a days.

I know the stripe kill it a bit, but the paint is nice.
So if I do a repaint... I might find a buyer easier, but at what price vs as-is.

I know the stripe kill it a bit, but the paint is nice.
So if I do a repaint... I might find a buyer easier, but at what price vs as-is.
Would you be the one painting it or paying some body else? If You can paint it yourself as nice as it is now then It's worth doing. But to pay someone else like $5,000 or more might make it tough to justify.
I wish I owned it just as it sits. :prayer: Stripe and all.:toothy9:

Would you be the one painting it or paying some body else? If You can paint it yourself as nice as it is now then It's worth doing. But to pay someone else like $5,000 or more might make it tough to justify.
I wish I owned it just as it sits. :prayer: Stripe and all.:toothy9:

If it wasn'T for the high impact color on the fender tag, the blue would be just fine.

If I had a bigger garage, it would already been repainted.

I got one last contact who could probably do it for a better price.

When you flip something you make the most money getting rid of it the fastest. Put it together and get it moved. It looks like you can have that thing running and out the door in a few weeks. If you paint it your starting from scratch and probably taking all winter to get it together.

If you're just looking to flip it then I wouldn't touch it.

I'm flipping it per say.
but I car will almost new....100% new brake, full pst poly direction, carpet, trim, gauge tank, wiper moter, bench, rubber etc... I'm putting alot in it just not a quick cheap a$$ flipping.
That why I still thinking to repaint the car. It will in almost perfect shape.
and its rust free ( rare thin here in up north)

Purple seems to be a love-hate color.

Personally I can't stand purple...and love the blue.

I would just and eliminate the side side and replace it with a more stock looking stripe.

Paul

Purple seems to be a love-hate color.

Personally I can't stand purple...and love the blue.

I would just and eliminate the side side and replace it with a more stock looking stripe.

Paul
only one problem with the strippes.......they are painted and burried in clear....

I think blue would be an easy sell. The original color is love it or hate it as was said above.

I don't see any additional value on a repaint for this car. If you want to break even or make money just keep it simple.

That would be a problem then...leave "as is" or consider a blue repaint verses a complete recolor of the purple.

Not sure how much money you have into it already, but flipping for a profit is challenging in this economy.

Seems like going after the 69 Charger you want in the first place would have been the call.

Paul

only one problem with the strippes.......they are painted and burried in clear....

-
Back