repainting/refurbishing rallye wheels

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
hey guys,

I still have my sbp rallyes that came with my car and there is nothing wrong with them..with a little bit of clean up and some paint i think they would look brand new again...The centers are going to need some work though since there is some primer overspray on them- not sure if i can blast them and they will look the same again, or if paint thinner will work, or what else?? just wondering if anybody has ever refurbished their rallyes in this way, if they sandblasted them all the way down, or just scuffed em up and painted them? interested to hear what you guys did...also, if there is a certain paint that will really get me that factory colour of them than anyone can recommend i would appreciate it

thanks!
Matthew

.........Blast away...............mopar argent...............kim........

where can i buy this argent silver as ive heard it referenced before...is it a mopar brand paint, or will a auto parts store have this in a spray bomb?
what about the centers? they have that textured look to them, not sure how to clean them up and still keep that colour/finish to them

any pics anyone has of their stuff would be great too!

gonna give this a bump for the afternoon browsers!

You can use Krylon dull aluminum, 5 bucks a can, and no one will ever know the difference...Ace hardware has it...But if you must, summit racing has the mopar argent silver spray paint, its about 13 bucks a can, you'll need 3 or 4 cans, plus $10 shipping....thats alotta dough for spray bomb if you ask me...

You can use Krylon dull aluminum, 5 bucks a can, and no one will ever know the difference...Ace hardware has it...But if you must, summit racing has the mopar argent silver spray paint, its about 13 bucks a can, you'll need 3 or 4 cans, plus $10 shipping....thats alotta dough for spray bomb if you ask me...

sounds good to me!

what about the centers??? that is something i am more concerned about

For the centers I cleaned them up and put a light layer of soap on the chrome. Sprayed the whole thing with the same paint I used for the rims, its a little bit darker, wipe off the painted soap and it looks brand new.

So you used the Krylon and liked it? Cool. I tell people to use it all the time but I never rear back about it.

I think people get scared off because it is inexpensive over the counter paint but it really works well for making wheels (and other things) look new again.

So you used the Krylon and liked it? Cool. I tell people to use it all the time but I never rear back about it.

I think people get scared off because it is inexpensive over the counter paint but it really works well for making wheels (and other things) look new again.

Haha!! yes I used it. Thank you! lol lol

They do the same thing with interior plastic paint........

I've been restoring cars for over 38 years, and Krylon Fusion for plastic interior parts is simply the BEST I've found, and is a BOATLOAD less than "big name" paints.....and adhesion promoter is already in it.

So blast the name "Krylon" if you must, and pay through your nose. It ain't my wallet. (rant over). :toothy10:

For the centers I cleaned them up and put a light layer of soap on the chrome. Sprayed the whole thing with the same paint I used for the rims, its a little bit darker, wipe off the painted soap and it looks brand new.

hey guys yes i use krylon and tremclad...my dad is the krylon man and gives me hell for wasting my money on tremclad so ive heard it already LOL

i want to keep this on track though and i am wondering about the centers...72dartwingerv8, do you have any pics of the painted centers that match the outers? it was to my knowledge that the centers are darker than the actual outer part, but i could be wrong???:munky2:

You may try Dupli-Color in the small cans for the centers. Something like a Medium Charcoal Metallic may be close to the darker color used in 71.

70 Was a much lighter color and 72+ was the acorn style (totally different).

You may try Dupli-Color in the small cans for the centers. Something like a Medium Charcoal Metallic may be close to the darker color used in 71.

70 Was a much lighter color and 72+ was the acorn style (totally different).

sweet man sounds good! i had no idea there were year differences between them either, so thanks for the headsup on that!

hey guys,

I still have my sbp rallyes that came with my car and there is nothing wrong with them..with a little bit of clean up and some paint i think they would look brand new again...The centers are going to need some work though since there is some primer overspray on them- not sure if i can blast them and they will look the same again, or if paint thinner will work, or what else?? just wondering if anybody has ever refurbished their rallyes in this way, if they sandblasted them all the way down, or just scuffed em up and painted them? interested to hear what you guys did...also, if there is a certain paint that will really get me that factory colour of them than anyone can recommend i would appreciate it

thanks!
Matthew

Matthew,

to remove the overspray ...try a detailing clay.

You can buy the textured light argent silver rattle can from Totally Auto for the center caps. Expensive but looks pretty close to the real thing.

hey guys thanks for all the suggestions...they are all very good and i think im gonna try em all out! hopefully the wheels turn out nice! thanks again everybody!

-
Back