repairing my 68 grill

-

twotone68

lifetime mopar man
Reaction score
My 68 dart sedan . Didn't have the hood latch grill, center support when I bought it. I didn't realize the cause till I installed a second one.All The Upper slots or upribs of the grill have broken at the cross brace. I noticed on the second one this started hapening again, The hood was harder to close ,even thought I adjusted everything. When Driving at highway speeds the hood has too much lift and shake. soo that center support serves more than one function . Does Any One Repair These Slots or upper bars on a 6Any and all Sources will be great ly appreciated !!! Thanks to all.:banghead:

I think I know the slots you are talking about. There's two that attach to the center latch support that goes in front of the radiator, and then two that attach near each of the headlight bezels to the radiator frame. I got rid of my center section support if you need a different one - I had to take it out to put an intercooler in.

I don't think having the grill secured at those two points will help with the hood shake. That center section is tied in with 4 bolts on the radiator support frame, and the grill only attaches to it to keep the grill ridgid. I had an issue with my hood bouncing and found that the bump stop on the driver's side was bent downwards just slightly and not actually making contact with the hood. I eventually went to hood pins due to removing the center section, but I suggest looking at the bumpers as they have to push up on the hood while the latch acts downward to keep it from moving up and down.

As for the grill, I'm sure it can be fixed if you have the missing tabs, or a way to create some.

Yes I do need a Grill ,hood latch support. I would be interested in buying your if it is nice condition ??? Let me know how much shipping and all.My Mailing Address is 1562 Germaine Dr. Yuba City, Ca. 95993. Thanks.

I might be able to take it apart into its two respective sections and ship it in a smaller box. Let me make sure we are talking about the same part with a picture:

supports_zps2b60fc04.jpg

It's in good shape. You could paint it if needed, but I just removed it because the intercooler for my turbo setup could not occupy the same space as it. It is off a 68 sedan so I see no reason why it wouldn't fit. I'd sandblast it for you but my cabinet is burried behind a large project, but it could be painted if needed. Top is gloss black, bottom section is stock satin from when it was built.

I'm thinking $20 for the whole thing plus shipping and I'll figure out the cheapest way to get it to you?

Ive got a couple '68 grilles and headlight bezels. A couple sets of parking lights also. Ill be headed up to the valley from San Diego in the morning for the holidays. Ill be in Sacramento for a day on wed or fri. Let me know if your interested.

-
Back