Repairing seat tear in center of driver seat- permatex repair kit or...?

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
The 70 Duster I just got has a tear right in the center of the seat, don't have a picture but as I recall it's kind of a T shape with each gash 4 to 5 inches long. I want to repair it, I'm not as concerned about it looking perfect as I am about it not getting worse, but I want to do it the best I can on the cheap without resorting to duct tape or something.

I'm thinking of trying this permatex kit, has anyone used it? What do you think? I've seen some poor reviews but I think people were trying it on more complex repairs than what I have to do. On the other hand, this is right where your butt goes so if it's a weak repair it will probably just tear open again.

per80902.jpg

Someone else told me to just get some black vinyl, shove it under the cover between the cover and the foam, and glue the cover down to it. I can do that for a few bucks (with a whole lot of vinyl left over). Anyone do that? If so, did it work and what vinyl adhesive do you recommend?

I`ve used the Permatex kit before on a blue interior. It was on a dash pad and not a flexible area like a seat bottom. It took me about half a dozen times to get the color close to correct and the patch was still visible. If I were you I`d follow your other suggestion and install a piece of material below the torn area and glue the material down. Once you`ve done that then try the Permatex patch over the repair.

Ive tried the VLP stuff, with no luck.

I used the permatex kit on a headrest for my duster. It had a little crack on the side, filled nicely, and the grain matched up good. i then redied them and you cant tell. you have to really be looking hard to notice it.

-
Back