Replacement Springs and Bars

-

d3fiant1

Reaction score
I have a '71 Demon that I plan to turn into a small block cruiser (currently has /6). She's all original and a runner, but needs the springs and bars replaced asap.
Thinking about the .920" bars or possibly the 1" ones from Just Suspension. My dilemma is that I plan to run the /6 til I can afford the small block. Would either of those bars be too stiff for the 6?
About the rears: I've read multiple posts about peoples issues with ride height. I would like to keep the body level, without the "hot rod" rake (just my preference). The body is unmolested and would prefer bolt-in replacements without modifications.
Price isn't as big a concern as having them fit right the first time. The Hotchkis springs are pricey, but as mentioned people have had issues with other springs.
Any input would be appreciated.

first of all welcome to FABO.

if you're keeping the /6 for awhile you'll probably be happy with the .92 bars. 1" would be ok too but may be a bit stiff for regular cruising.
on the rear, just stay away from ss springs as they will raise the back of the car. hd springs will provide a good firm ride and keep the heighth stock. i think some vendors can also provide de-arched springs if you want to go lower. i don't know if they are still in stock, but there was quite a buzz awhile back about the good deal that j.c. whitney had on replacement a-body leaf springs. maybe somebody else can chime in on that. good luck!

Once you have the torsion bars in you can adjust the front height and subsequent rake pretty easily by backing out the adjustment bolts to lower it, or crank them in to raise it.
I replaced my 0.81s with 1.0s and have a 340 small block in mine, and it was just trial and error with the bolts to get it where I wanted it.
I also went with the HD rear springs and they didn't pop up the back end that much at all.

The .92 bars seem to be the way to go since I'm looking to build a restified cruiser and not a pro-tourer.
As for the rear, I keep eyeballing the springs from Hotchkiss. Looks like they come as a kit with the front hanger/bushing and new u-bolts. Whereas the XHD springs from say Mancini Racing may be cheaper, but they're bare. Any thoughts on the Hotchkiss set?

i think either the .920 or the 1" will be fine until ya get the small block in it.

as far as springs go. we went with espo springs and they have been great for us. you can buy them in stock, +1", +2". bolt in deal..

I bought the Hotchkis kit ($350 from Jegs). As advertised it comes complete with all the hardware you need. Discovered that their 1" drop comes from the front bracket, not the spring. And the spring itself has stock dimensions, so I intend to use my original front bracket.

Tech note: The stock bracket has 3/4" holes for the spring bolt, whereas the Hotchkis kit uses a 1/2" bolt. A local machine shop took a hardened steel dowel and cut it to the thickness of the bracket. Fits just right.

-
Back