replacement valve springs for 83 318

-

prorac1

Reaction score
Or more precisely does anybody have a goto set of cheap valve springs that are drop in replacements on 80s 318 heads for mild cams.

The cam would be small, tiny, itty bitty, lol.

Under 450 lift and probably 20x/20x duration.

It wouldn't require much valve spring at all.

I still need to pull the heads apart and measure the OD and installed height. But I figured that somebody might know off the top of their head. Thanks, Eric L

Pretty sure the Comp 901-16 springs are what you are looking for.
Drop in replacement if I remember correctly.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-901-16

Thank you TrailBeast.

Jason wants a cam..........cause cams are cool, lol. But im explaining to him that theres more expense to it other than just a cam and lifters.

I figure I can get away with the factory pushrods and rockers for a tiny cam, but the valve springs often times can cost almost as much as a cheap cam kit, lol. But this will give him an idea of what he has to spend. Thanks, Eric L

Thats not a bad price for valve springs. Im kinda surprised at how cheap they are. Can you use the factory Locks and retainers with those springs? This could be doable............uh-oh, I smell a snowball coming, lol. Eric L

Thats not a bad price for valve springs. Im kinda surprised at how cheap they are. Can you use the factory Locks and retainers with those springs? This could be doable............uh-oh, I smell a snowball coming, lol. Eric L

The locks and retainers I don't know for sure on that, but one of the other guys should know for sure.
I know they highly recommend using new ones, but don't know if it's because of fit or peace of mind.

I know some of the guys use the OEM stamped rockers with them, and that's a load off as far as cost goes.

Betcha RustyRatRod (Rob) knows for sure.

Water pump gaskets
Timing cover gasket kit
Intake gaskets
V cover gaskets
A thermostat gasket (if you use those) I don't.
New oil and filter X2 for breakin
Maybe a new chain and sprockets If it's not pretty new
Some will recommend the tensioner while you are in there

I think that is most of it.

We are putting a new oil pump, pickup, timing chain, and gasket set in the engine while we have it out anyways. That's why I was considering the cam swap. The engine is a 1983 ramcharger 318. The engine was a good runner in my uncles ramcharger. This engine is pretty much just ment to be a good reliable driver to get the car driving.

We are putting a new oil pump, pickup, timing chain, and gasket set in the engine while we have it out anyways. That's why I was considering the cam swap. The engine is a 1983 ramcharger 318. The engine was a good runner in my uncles ramcharger. This engine is pretty much just ment to be a good reliable driver to get the car driving.

Are these 302 casting number heads?

No. I don't believe they are. I'd have to look again to be 100% sure. But I'm 85% sure they weren't 302s.

I don't remember the casting number off the top of my head, but it did come up for 1983.

Looking back at some of my notes, I believe the cylinder head casting number is 4027593. Nothing special. Thanks. Eric L

I tried the 901-16 with the stock retainers and they were too sloppy (loose around the valve spring).

Any idea what diameter the factory valve spring is? Looks like those summit springs being smaller diameter would work with the factory retainer. Eric L

Got it!
The 2 in the middle are rotator retainers.

Attachments

• PART_1453418121191_IMG_20160121_171455.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 218
Awesome. Thanks for the info. That explains it really well. Thanks. Eric L

This is being way over thunk! Just put the cam and lifters in - break it in and run it. This sounds like its fora kid who's "got a new cam!!" And going to trash on it anyways. I've seen my son blow up cars putting a new air filter on swearing it had an extra 40hp til ka-booom ! LOL

-
Back