Replacing 74 Duster Tail Lenses

-

saapbaad

mopar or no car
Reaction score
I had to pickup a new set of lenses and I'm trying to install them - thing is the originals used a gasket that is smaller and has some black caulking oozing out between the lens and the gasket. When I did a test fit there is clearly a gap that I probably need to add caulking too.

I'm wondering what kind of caulking this is and is there a trick I should be aware of when applying? The original lens appears like it came from the factory this way.

I've attached a pick for reference, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• duster-lens.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 113
Nope, no "caulking" between the lens and the car, that black foam gasket will deform to look like the old one shortly.
I'm not sure what goes between the lens and the bucket though.

I managed to get the gasket on there without caulking and just reached around the housing and pushed the gasket in as needed when the bezel was somewhat tight. Fit seems good now, just had to crank down on the nuts to ensure a tight seal.

Question, Why did you replace the lenses?? the old ones in the pics look almost the same to me as the new ones, except for the gaskets, and if I might ask where di you get them, and how much did you pay for the new ones??

By chance are these the Ebay ones from Mexico, I have wandered what quality the Ebay ones were.

Bob

Question, Why did you replace the lenses?? the old ones in the pics look almost the same to me as the new ones, except for the gaskets, and if I might ask where di you get them, and how much did you pay for the new ones??

I imported this car into Canada from Ohio and I cannot pass inspection with the tiny stress cracks in the original lenses. Pretty big piss off considering the originals really are in great condition. Cost was about $250 with shipping if I remember correctly from http://www.rpmparts.ca/

By chance are these the Ebay ones from Mexico, I have wandered what quality the Ebay ones were.

Bob
No I bought these from http://www.rpmparts.ca/ located in Saskatchewan. Quality and fit is very good, I had to ream the mounting holes out a bit though.

-
Back