replacing an oil pan while in-car

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Today i planned to finish the hei conversion on my car and i found a problem, my car was either out of oil or extremely low on oil. The dipstick had nothing, but the car's on a sloped driveway. Thankfully i think i caught it before it caused any damage(car's ran fine with no obvious issues)

Anyhow, i started looking for leaks and it looks like i may have hit a speed bump just wrong and tweaked the pan so its not sealing up front and the oil slowly drips out as it runs. How hard is it to replace a pan while the engine's in the car? This pan was put on while the engine was out.

For a small block...Done it several times. Get the car up on jack stands, front & back makes it easier.
Disconnect battery ground cable at the battery. Then remove steering idler arm long bolt but leave idler arm attached to steering drag link, disconnect passenger side tie rod end, remove starter and clutch/torque convertor cover. Pan should come off without too much hassle.

yup pretty much what they said if it leaks out only when the engine is running clean that area and be sure its not coming out the timing cover

Good luck......never had any luck sealing leaks with the motor still in the car, except for the time I supported the motor with a bar across the inner fenders and dropped the k-frame......

yup pretty much what they said if it leaks out only when the engine is running clean that area and be sure its not coming out the timing cover

well it is that seal under the timing cover area.

-
Back