replacing auto with a manual trans

-

britdart

Reaction score
hi, i've been desperately wanting to put a manual transmission into my '70 dart swinger with a 225 slant six in it. i am a student so i want to do this as cheaply as possible. i was hoping to go to a scrap yard and pull a manny tran out of another old mopar. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? do i need to replace the engines flywheel because of the old torque converter? can i use the clutch pedal/lines out of the parts car? and will the manny tran be smaller and need an attachment?

any help would be great thanks - britdart

A or F body parts car will work. Later A and F bodies have the overdrive tranny. Make sure you get all small pieces as well. 4-Speed specialty shops like Brewers and Passion Performance will be a great source and able to help and provide all the parts you can afford to have shipped!

By the way, welcome to the site. Where in England are you?

thanks. i'm half in oxfordshire and half in the cali bay area. what small pieces will i need exactly? i'm half teaching myself these things and its quite abit of a project. i know i'll need the tranny with the shift lever (obviously), the clutch lines and pedal and the flywheel. but is there anything else i need? and is it a good idea to steal these parts off a dead car or do i need to order them? any help is brilliant, thanks

The link below will help you understand the basics:
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

Depending on the donor car, you will need all the associated parts to include all linkages (clutch pedal and shifter), entire pedal assembly, z-bar, bell housing and all brackets.

I lived in England for three years. I was US Air Force stationed at Greenham Common (Newberry). My Mom (me Mum) is from Devizes, Wiltshire. I've got a lot of relatives in Devizes.

Good luck on your search for a donor car. Once you locate some possible cars for parts post them up here, (with pictures) and we can point out what will work for your swap.

-
Back