Replacing flexplate?

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
Can the flexplate be replaced without pulling the trans? Will the converter slide back far enough to get to the bolts? 318/904
Thanks Bruce

Dont think that is do-able atleast on my 904. You'll spend more time messing with it than just pulling the trans out, or back enough.

-Mike

no
looks like a couple of hours on a saturday afternoon........
why do you need to change it?

Sounds like it's broken, major noise coming from there and major vibration in park when revved up, and in gear at about the same rpm in all gears. It has had a slight vibration for a while but when I revved it pretty high the other day it really got worse, and is steadily getting worse

I've done what you're suggesting. If you don't have a tranny jack its a good solution. Beats the hell outa hoisting that sucker back in place.
Daryl

I was planning on having the tranny gone thru and beefed up for the 360 so now seems to be a good time to let a shop do the trans and flexplate.
Has anyone used the kit from Mancini? It has all the clutches steels and cheetah shift kit and a deep pan that holds 2 more quarts of fluid, under $200.
What is a good price for a shop to do a tranny?
Thanks for all the input
Bruce

Yea checked them praying that was all it was, I'm going under it tomorrow and look things over with it running and maybe a timing light. The strobe will show any movement from the converter/flexplate.
Thanks Mike

Bruce prices vary alot from shop to shop depending on your area and the quality of work done. I did a 727 for a buddy awhile back and spent $260 in parts alone but I replace everything including all thrust washers, bushings, and sprague kit which the Mancini kit doesn't include. That price also included a Trans-go shift kit which is far superior to a Turbo Action.

There's rebuilding and there's rebuilding correctly. Some shops just replace the clutch discs and seals and do a quickie clean up and call it rebuilt even though they don't take time to check and adjust clearances correctly or replace the steel plates and bands or totally disassemble the valve body and clean it thouroughly.

I'd say if you want it done right don't expect to get away spending less than $500.

I get my parts from www.bulkpart.com usually. Their prices are nearly impossible to beat.

Thanks Fishy
I met a Mopar guy at Pinks all out in San Antonio, races a 63 Ply with 440. He has a shop so Ill get ahold of him. So should the sprag always be replaced? Which one should I get bolt in or weld in? Do those kits you get have all the thrust washers and sprag? I'm sure this tranny has never been out 150,000 plus miles. I figured around $600.
Thanks again
Bruce

Yeah there you go Bruce. If you can find a Mopar guy that's good that'll save some bucks. You should always at least replace the sprague roller/spring kit. Depending on your power level and intended use you may not need the bolt in sprague. If you race at the track you should have a bolt in sprague. They don't make a weld in. Bulkparts kits don't come with the extras but their listed right there with them. If you need me to I can get you a list of what I always order.

-
Back