Replacing Fuel Line

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
While my car is apart I have thought about replacing the fuel line. Also removing the vent or return line that is capped off. Not sure which one it is. Its on the passenger side inner fender.

Anyways its not being used so its coming out. So Im only using the one fuel line. I have thought about buying a bulk roll of Stainless from Summit but that stuff is so hard to bend. Is there anywhere else to buy bulk line from? Is the Stainless line worth it? Also I see 2 different size lines 5/16 and 3/8. The car is a 71 Scamp. I assume its only the 5/16 but does anyone know for sure?

The other problem is, how do you flare the end (factory style) so you dont have to have 2 hose clamps

Why are you going with bulk line? You can get pre-bent steel line (main line that runs from tank to front of car) for $65.00 (stainless is $90.00). Check out Inline Tube. Here's the link to Dodge (look at Dart, same wheel base as your Scamp): http://inlinetube.com/Preformed%20Lines/Web%20Line%20Listings/DD-CAT-03.htm

Also, you will need to vent the tank through through the vent line, so if you remove the vent line going to front of car you will need to build a vent at rear of car. Key to a vent line is to make sure it does a loop higher than the gas tank fill tube inlet and vent outside of the trunk.

Why are you going with bulk line? You can get pre-bent steel line (main line that runs from tank to front of car) for $65.00 (stainless is $90.00). Check out Inline Tube. Here's the link to Dodge (look at Dart, same wheel base as your Scamp): http://inlinetube.com/Preformed Lines/Web Line Listings/DD-CAT-03.htm

Also, you will need to vent the tank through through the vent line, so if you remove the vent line going to front of car you will need to build a vent at rear of car. Key to a vent line is to make sure it does a loop higher than the gas tank fill tube inlet and vent outside of the trunk.

I have used Inline tube when I built my Jeep. I was thinking they only sold complete line sets. They do have great quality and fit great.

Is that for sure a vent line or is it the return line from the original carb? Im unsure what that line really does? It was capped when I bought the car.

5/16 is factrory slant 6 line
3/8 is factory v8 line
My 74 has the 5/16 and is runnin a 360 no oproblems but will eventually change to 3/8 stainless

Thank you for that! I always wondered why the two different sizes. Looks like I need the 3/8 line. At least it cant hurt to have that size.

The car is a 71 Scamp 318 car.

Yes you can remove it.
It was just a vapor return line and is not being used you may have to block a line on the tank but not a big deal
But have never done it on a 71 does it have the tank with like 5 tubes comin from the tank?

5/16 is factrory slant 6 line
3/8 is factory v8 line
My 74 has the 5/16 and is runnin a 360 no oproblems but will eventually change to 3/8 stainless

Not true, all stock small blocks, including the 340 and 360, used 5/16. Not sure of any stock V8s that used 3/8 (maybe some Hemi cars).

If you upgrade to 3/8 and want to realize any improved flow you will need to swap out the fuel tank pick up assembly and get a fuel pump with 3/8 inlet and outlet and 3/8 (or -6) from pump to carb.

I have used Inline tube when I built my Jeep. I was thinking they only sold complete line sets. They do have great quality and fit great.

Is that for sure a vent line or is it the return line from the original carb? Im unsure what that line really does? It was capped when I bought the car.

Follow the vent line back to the tank and remove the ruber hose that connects it to the tank. If that nipple on the tank has a very small ID (like 1/16" or smaller) it'a a vent line. My 72 had the vent line, 71's may have also had them. If it's a vent do not plug it! Your tank needs a vent.

I'll just make sure to double check the size of the line before I replace it.

Just wondering if anyone has used a bulk roll of tubing and if its any cheaper than the inline tube stuff.

If you haven't done it before, double flaring 3/8 stainless can be a PITA. The flaring kits that you get at the local stop'n'rob won't cut it. If this is gonna be your only line job, go with the Inline Tube stuff. If it's something you might want to do more of, get a good flare tool and go for it. If you get a roll of tubing, it's gonna be fun to get straight for the long runs. I usually buy my .035 x 3/8 stainless fuel line in 20' sticks.

Okay... are they stock? I've owned three stock 340 cars and none of them had 3/8 line from the factory.
The duster is fairly untouched except paint and I found it odd that it had it as well. I went to replace the line and 5/16 wouldnt go on so I tried 3/8 and it went on with as little persuasion

Checked my lines and they are 5/16.

My other question is my tank has 4 outlets on the filler neck side. What are they all for? Im assuming one of them was the vapor line for the emissions. Then maybe a return line. the 4th?

Now since Im just running 1 line to the carb and no longer have a return line I can cap 3 of those. What is the 4th one for? Thanks

Check out Right Stuff Detailing, They have 3/8 sending units and 3/8 fuel lines available. (summit carrys most of they're products)

I went to replace the line and 5/16 wouldnt go on so I tried 3/8 and it went on with as little persuasion

Huh?

3/8" is larger than a 5/16" line. Are you sure you don't have the sizes flip-flopped? If you had to persuade anything, I'd assume the other was fitting too tightly? Or are you talking about placing rubber on a steel line?

Just so everyone knows, the only cars that I know of that run 3/8" line from the factory were 440 6, Hemi and Maxwedge cars, along with 3/8" pickup tubes into the tanks.

The vent line that runs to the front of your car, straightlinespeed, is a 3/16" vent tube and it will spill fuel if left installed, without running above the fuel tank level. That's why it's capped. Someone took the charcoal canister off that it used to run to.

I wouldn't suggest capping all of the lines. You should have at least one vent line, or you can kiss the paint on your quarter panel goodbye on a hot day. Urethane clearcoat paint is fuel resistant, but basecoat is NOT.

And depending on how well the fuel neck port on your quarter panel was prepped before paint, as well as how carefully the neck was installed, if fuel surges and finds it's way under the clearcoat from a crack, even near a screw hole, it can terrorize the paint all the way down to the bottom of the quarter panel and lift the basecoat, as well as everything on top of it.

I had to repaint the quarter panel on a magazine featured '59 Dodge 6.1 hemi that had this problem, when it was at the car show in the pits of the Mopar Nationals at Bandimere on a hot day.

The best you can do is trace that 3/16" line back and put a small inline filter on top of the tank, from a rubber hose.

For your fuel line;

I run the zinc plated soft line from Napa. It comes in a roll that is loose enough that when you begin openning it, if you flex it by hand in larger sections, it will straighten up. I work on trim at my shop, so I'm used to getting things super straight, but it's way easier to work with than stainless.

The double flaring tool that they sell works just fine with it. I would suggest oiling the mandrel and cone, as well as the threads on the compressing clamp for clean centering and operation. If you do that, it will give you a lot of service and even work well down to the 3/16" lines if you ever want to make your own brake lines.

Sticks are always nicer to work with, but you can get very nice results out of a roll if you keep from unwinding it in shorter sections. If you pull on it, do it as wide as you can and think about getting it straight from one end to the other, rather than in sections and it will look sharp.

Think of the double flare fittings like heat shrink tube on a wire and put them in place before putting any bends in the line, so they are trapped at the flare. I also use the mandrel with the cone to put half flares in lines that need rubber going to them, from the car to the engine, etc, so the clamp has something nice to form the rubber line on.

I also use a hand held tubing bender like this one -

Automotive_Specialty_Tools_Deluxe_Tube_Bender.jpg

There are better ones out there, but this one has given me show winning results and it was cheap. I tip the line about 5° and then walk the line about 1/8-1/4" up and continue. If you don't, it can put a slight kink in the line, but if you go at it slowly and move the line through the bender in small incriments like that, it will give very nice results.

Just use your old line as a pattern. If I have a complicated bend, I'll tape where I want the bend to start and stop, then mark on the masking tape where I want the bend(s) clocked.

I just finished making 5/16" solid line for my Street Demon and rerouted the line to get it out of the heat soak area of the heater hoses and upper radiator hose. I'm a fan of solid lines anywhere I can get them in, because they don't require looming and tons of organizational fasteners like soft lines will.

Huh?
3/8" is larger than a 5/16" line. Are you sure you don't have the sizes flip-flopped? If you had to persuade anything, I'd assume the other was fitting too tightly? Or are you talking about placing rubber on a steel line?

Im talking rubber line onto hardlines

-
Back