replacing full rear quarter panels dart sport

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
need some advice I'm replacing both full quarters on my 74 dart sport
using panels from a very solid donar car
should I attempt to cut out all the spot welds or I'm hearing that people are cutting just above the body line
I'm a new at body and looking to approach the job as smart as possible and not create more work
thanks

Cut the spotwelds. More work when removing but less work installing. And if you cut at the bodyline it is a lot more welding when installing and if you are new to body work it will be hard to get it good when welding in the panels.

I'm a little concerned about melt the lead out of the factory seams
I'm thinking the panel could be warped
Does anyone have any experience melting it

Cut all spot welds. It will make a nicer job & less welding = less warping. Take your time, use a small propane torch. Dig out the majority with a putty knife, then heat again, use a wire brush to clean out the rest.

Also, don't use a $5 spot weld cutter. Spend a few extra dollars on a decent one, you'll be glad you did. It's a real pain when they wear and slip and take forever to cut through.

Also, don't use a $5 spot weld cutter. Spend a few extra dollars on a decent one, you'll be glad you did. It's a real pain when they wear and slip and take forever to cut through.
Amen to that

Watch the Craig Hopkins video. He is an AMD dealer/ approved installation center. He does a set of panels on a 68 Dart. Very informative. You can Google it by searching "craig hopkins panel replacement." Buy the DVD it's worth it.
Melt the lead filler with a blow torch and use a wire brush by hand. You only want to get the lead hot enough to melt and keep moving the heat. You shouldn't have to get the sheet metal that hot to warp it. If you do just reheat it and cool it rapidly with a wet rag to shrink it back to shape.

I got a decent spot weld cutter coming
And gearing up to get started this weekend. I'll let you folks know how it's going
This is my solid parts car. No Chinese metal for my hotrod hopefully

image.jpeg

As previous posters have said, cut the spot welds on both your project and donors. it will make the panel replacement a lot easier and the welding that you will have to do will be hidden when the project is complete. You won't regret it. L8r

The mini tubbs fit the 29.5 /10.5 w.
But will have to narrow the rear to get the tuck like in the photo

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
This side is close to being done
Going to modify the outer tubb in case I wanna run a 29.5

-
Back