Replacing heater core

-

lil elephant

Reaction score
Does anybody know where there might be pictures and information on the replacement of a heater core in a 75 Dart Sport with air. It looks as if i have to remove the evaperator to get to the heater core.

It might be worthwhile to buy a shop manual off of ebay or a book vendor. I had the heater core replaced in a '73 Duster I had and I know they did have to pull the Freon and unhook the lines to get the heater box out. I don't know any other details though.
Dallas

It's a pain of a job. You'll definitely have to disconnect the AC which means discharging the lines and all that. Fortunately mine (73 duster as well) had air originally, but not anymore, so that was not a concern. Take off the center vents that hang down below the dash, they mount from the dash above but you need the space to get the assembly out. After the air is disconnected, (and I'm assuming this is similar to my Duster here), you'll have to drain the coolant at least out of the radiator and disconnect the heater core hoses on the engine bay side. Also, remove the blower motor from the firewall on the engine bay (passenger side). Unbolt the plate around the two tubes where the heater core hoses attach and remove that little square plate. You will have to take the glove box out, so you can remove the support between the heater core assembly and the top of the dash. Then remove the nuts from the mounting studs in the engine bay side. There are 5 or 6 studs that go through, a couple of them are behind the engine and a little hard to get to but not too bad.

Once you take off the mounting bolts you can drop the core housing. It is basically a big rectangular box, takes up about two thirds of the under-dash on the passengers side through the middle. When I took mine out, I had to pull it back from the firewall, drop it down, and rotate so the studs are pointing towards the floor. Also, when you do this, there are 5 or 6 vacuum lines to disconnect, some electrical connections on the passengers side, and a mechanical linkage on the top. Once those are disconnected, you just have to work with it and twist it around until you can slide it out from under the dash and out the passengers side of the car!

Once it's out, it's pretty straightforward to take it apart and change the heater core. It might help to label vacuum lines and such so you remember where they go, mine were old enough that it was obvious by their shape which fitting they attached to.

I can get some pictures up for you if you'd like. I'm not sure it will be exactly the same in a 75 dart as a 73 duster but close I would assume?

Also, most of that information is readily available in a shop manual which is a great addition.

-
Back