Replacing Leaf Spring Bushings

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
So here are the instruction from the service manual. HELP!!! What the hell? I found some resource information. Here is what I have so far. I have been told you must support the axle and the body separate so you can raise the body off the springs. Check can do. Then I referred to the service manual. Is step 2 suggesting I remove the spring from the hanger or the hanger from the body and then the spring? Also any suggestions for removing the old bushing? I have seen three methods First drill around it and it should pop out, Burn the old one out and remove the metal sleeve with a hammer and chisel, and finally the service manual use the new one to press the old one out. My concern with this method is HOW. I found a way to press the new one in that I like. Guy took some all thread and washers and nuts and used an impact wrench to push it in place. Any help would be awesome this reads like a big job but it doesn't seem like it should be.

REAR SPRINGS

Pivot Bush in g Replacement

The spring front pivot and rear shackle bushings
(Figs. 8, 9 and 10) may be replaced with the spring
still on the vehicle by the following method:

(1) Raise the vehicle so the spring is relaxed with
the the rear wheels just touching the floor.
NOTE: Do not permit weight of the rear axle to be
suspended on fully extended shock absorbers.

(2) To replace the front bushings, remove the rear
spring front hanger from the body bracket. Remove
the pivot and hanger from the spring.

(3)Place the new bushings on Tool C-3729 and ar-
range tool on spring eye. Press out the old bushing
while pressing in the new bushing in the one opera-
tion. (Fig. 11).

(4) Assemble the front hanger to the spring, but
do not tighten the pivot bolt nut until the full weight
of the vehicle is on the wheels.

(5) Attach the front spring hanger to the body
bracket and tighten the mounting bolts to 30 foot-
pounds.

(6)To replace the spring shackle bushing, remove
the rear hanger from the body,,bracket. Remove the
shackle, then slide the bushings out of the spring and
hanger.

(7) Insert the new bushings in the spring and hang-
er, then assemble the shackle and hanger on the
spring. Start the shackle bolt nuts.

(8) Attach the hanger to the body bracket and
tighten the mounting bolt to 30 foot-pounds.

(9) With the full weight of the vehicle on the
wheels, tighten the rear spring front pivot bolt nut
60 foot-pounds (AV models) 125 foot-pounds (AR and
AP models), and the shackle nuts to 40 foot-pounds,
(AV models) 30 foot-pounds.

You are correct in that you remove the spring and bracket from the car in step 2. After you have the assembly off the car you can remove the bolt and bracket.
When I done this job the springs were out of the car, so I used a press to get the old ones out and the new ones in. I did it in two steps. Taking the measurement from the new bushing, I was able to find a short piece of pipe at Lowes that was the same O.D. that I used in the press.
C

i usually burn out the old rubber part of the bushing and then using an air hammer work the outer "shell" out...

then press the new one in...

I just did mine. Its much easier to drop the springs out of the car first.
The shackle bushings should come right out if you grab them with pliers and give them a twist. You might have to work the shackle back and forth to slide the pin out. They are only rubber bushings.
The front eye bushing you take your drill and keep drilling into the rubber until you can pull the rubber out along with the inner sleeve. Support the spring eye and pound out the outer sleeve with a hammer and chisel. A 3 lb sledge not a little ball peen hammer.
You can pound in the front bushings or use a big c clamp. Dont pound directly on the bushing. The shackle bushings push in by hand with maybe a little tap with a hammer.

-
Back