Replacing pinion seal

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Next week im getting my pinion seal replaced by a reputable mechanic. I have an 8 1/4. Last summer new gears and a limited slip were installed complete with new parts. Ever since then the rear end has been leaking. Not much though but enough to notice. It's not the cover however but up near the driveshaft. From what I understand it's the pinion seal. I have already purchased a timken seal. From what I have read on here it's a good possibility that the yoke has a groove in it causing it to leak. Is this a common problem? It never leaked before. Should I just go ahead and purchase a new yoke? Is this a part I can get at the local auto parts store or does it need to be ordered online?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Likely can't get the yoke at a local parts store but you should be able to from a drive line specialty shop or from one of the on-line places like Randy's Ring & Pinion. What you may also consider is a seal repair kit, these you may find a place like NAPA. They are a ring of metal that is very thin, think of a cam bearing but smaller. They slip over the seal area on the yoke and fixed into place with a loctite like adhesive. It will give you a newsurface for the seal to work against.

Also, the 8 1/4 uses a crush sleeve to set the bearing preload. This needs to be replaced anytime you remove the pinion nut. I would pick up one of those too.

Turning out to be a bigger expense than I thought. Mancini racing has this yoke. Would the first one be for my car. It says 8 1/4. Just want to be sure.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/825yoke.html

I checked online and none of the local stores sell crush sleeves. Mancini sells those also. But im thinking what if it's not the yoke. So if I don't buy one then when they look at it they tell me it is the yoke. So thats more money for them looking at it becuase i'll have to come back another day after ordering the new yoke. Probably be an over $200 dollar job for a little leak. Does this really need to be done? A friend of mine said if that seal ever gave way or got worse then it could ruin my gears. Be an even bigger expense lol. Mancini sells those micro repair kits. There cheap but only apply for 8 3/4 :( Nothing was listed on NAPAs website.

NAPA has them. It may not be listed on their website but I know they have them cause I just priced one there a couple months back. One for my 8-3/4 yoke was a little over $30. They used to be called "speedy sleeves". Not sure if that's what they still call them but any decent parts guy should know what they are.

NAPA has them. It may not be listed on their website but I know they have them cause I just priced one there a couple months back. One for my 8-3/4 yoke was a little over $30. They used to be called "speedy sleeves". Not sure if that's what they still call them but any decent parts guy should know what they are.

I'll give them a call. I have seen places online that sell them but only for 8 3/4. Would it still work for a 8 1/4? I'm also thinking about maybe just biting the bullet and getting a new yoke from mancini. Just to be on the safe side. Mine is probably the factory piece. Is the "7260" the one I would want? $79 is less than everyone else. I need to get the crush sleeve from them anyway.

I'll give them a call. I have seen places online that sell them but only for 8 3/4. Would it still work for a 8 1/4? I'm also thinking about maybe just biting the bullet and getting a new yoke from mancini. Just to be on the safe side. Mine is probably the factory piece. Is the "7260" the one I would want? $79 is less than everyone else. I need to get the crush sleeve from them anyway.

Sorry but I've never been into an 8-1/4 so I don't know if they're the same as an 8-3/4 or not but I'd think Mancini's could answer that for you. The 7260 is the small U-joint and the most common for an A-body but you need to measure it to make sure. The 7260 measures 2-1/8" i.d. and the 7290 measures 2-5/8" i.d.

BTW: On replacing the crush sleeve. The crush sleeve needs to be properly "crushed" to achieve the proper pinion bearing preload which is 10-15 inch lbs. for used bearings. This can only be done by removing the carrier. Sorry, I know more bad news.

Sorry but I've never been into an 8-1/4 so I don't know if they're the same as an 8-3/4 or not but I'd think Mancini's could answer that for you. The 7260 is the small U-joint and the most common for an A-body but you need to measure it to make sure. The 7260 measures 2-1/8" i.d. and the 7290 measures 2-5/8" i.d.

BTW: On replacing the crush sleeve. The crush sleeve needs to be properly "crushed" to achieve the proper pinion bearing preload which is 10-15 inch lbs. for used bearings. This can only be done by removing the carrier. Sorry, I know more bad news.

What exactly am I measuring on the yoke? Is it just the length? So in order to replace the crush sleeve everything has to come apart? Probably going to cost a fortune just to fix a leak. This really sucks. Anyway possible to use the same crush sleeve? It's less than a year old. Keep in mind I don't know too much about rear-ends.

Any additional info is appreciated. Thanks

If you measure the width of the U-joint that'll be the same as the i.d. of the yoke and the measurement you need. 2-1/8" across the U-joint caps is the 7260 yoke. 2-5/8" across the caps is the 7290 yoke.

As far as reusing the old crush sleeve. I've heard some guys say they did and didn't have any problems but I haven't and have always read it's not a good idea so?????

-
Back