Replacing plumbing

-

Easy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever changed out old cast iron drain pipe for PVC? I may be getting a house soon that was built in 1960, it has cast iron pipes with some small leaks (nothing major), but I am considering gutting out all the old pipes for pvc. Can I just copy whats in cast iron with pvc? I want to do this before we move in so that I dont have to worry about it 10-15 years down the road. I have worked with PVC before and am not affraid to get dirty (crawl space) I just would like to update this houses plumbing. Any help or links would be great

I do Plumbing and HVAC for a living u can match what's there. A lot of problems that was around in the 60's was the way they vented. Also make sure that you run the washing machine drain in 3" cause 2" can't handle the water that is put out by the newer washers if not properly vented, Good luck with the project and pm me if I can help u at all:burnout:

I also upgraded my pipe diameter in my old house due to the high output of the washing machine. If you have to attach to a cast iron pipe where it goes underground there are rubber boots that are designed for this application. Fernco is one brand name.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEFaJyIzyiYA&ei=-_ErUsWQIOOv2wWl4YGYBA&usg=AFQjCNH92D4AA5KECsiXM9b1679XJns3uA&sig2=WJVkvqU3emezqpICz1ZhZQ

Do yourself a fave pull permits. and have it inspected ,you home owners may not cover down the road if not.:glasses7:

Easy, my experience has been that cast iron pipe will last about as long as PVC. Plastic does eventually get old, brittle and breaks. Also, cast iron is much more resistant to breakage in freezing temperatures than PVC is. The choice might depend on whether your water has a lot of dissolved minerals that tend to rust the pipe out fast. If you do use PVC, don't cheap out and use Schedule 40; use Schedule 80. It is a lot stronger. I prefer cast iron pipe to PVC, but my water doesn't rust it out very fast, so YMMV. When replacing sections of pipe at a time, and since both ends of the replacement sections are threaded the same way, unions (not labor unions!) will become your friend.

Attachments

• union.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 152
I do Plumbing and HVAC for a living u can match what's there. A lot of problems that was around in the 60's was the way they vented. Also make sure that you run the washing machine drain in 3" cause 2" can't handle the water that is put out by the newer washers if not properly vented, Good luck with the project and pm me if I can help u at all:burnout:

Boy did I find that out the hard way :banghead: hooked up the new washer turned in on to see how it worked. When it hit the drain cycle water was spraying all over the laundry room! :eek:ops:
Had to rip a wall out to get to the old 1 1/2 galvanized pipe that was about plugged with greasy sludge. Bigger is better!!!!! :cheers:

Easy, my experience has been that cast iron pipe will last about as long as PVC. Plastic does eventually get old, brittle and breaks. Also, cast iron is much more resistant to breakage in freezing temperatures than PVC is. The choice might depend on whether your water has a lot of dissolved minerals that tend to rust the pipe out fast. If you do use PVC, don't cheap out and use Schedule 40; use Schedule 80. It is a lot stronger. I prefer cast iron pipe to PVC, but my water doesn't rust it out very fast, so YMMV. When replacing sections of pipe at a time, and since both ends of the replacement sections are threaded the same way, unions (not labor unions!) will become your friend.

attachment.php

He is replacing drain pipe instead of fresh water pipe.

-
Back