Replacing power steering box

-

Dan408stroker

Reaction score
I have a leaking power stearing box in my 69 swinger. The shop manual says I will have to unbolt the left motor mount and jack the motor to clear the exhaust manifold. i have TTI headers on it. - Questions - will I have to raise the motor with the headers? - I have the steering links, and upper and lower control arms removed to install bushings. Anyone have any experience with this task? Where is the best place to buy a remaned or new box?

Dan

......i believe it wont be much fun if u dont remove the header, there a pita.........jack up engine........theres a rebuilt 67 box in the sale section........kim..........

I replaced mine with the same headers took about an hour , you do not have to remove headers just unbolt from motor and exhaust so you can move them around and then unbolt steering box I assume you have everything underneath disconnected,then you remove power steering pump and you should be able to wiggle it out. I never raised the motor at all

Sounds like I should sprinkle some "Sorb-all" on the floor of the garage and wait until the next time the motor comes out!

I know it sounds crazy, but could you put the front end up on jack stands, hook onto the engine with a engine hoist, then unbolt, motor mounts, a-arms and k-member bolts, lowering the whole k-member down far enough to swap out the steering box and button everything back up?
I too have a leaking power steering box on my 69 Barracuda with 440 and Schumachers stuffed into it. It may be easier and quicker than yanking the engine.
Just throwing it out there?

I had to pull the torsion bar out of the way so I could move the headers up. Firm Feel can rebuild your box, get rid of the leaks and increase the feed back with their upgrades of Stages I, II, or III. I like the Stage III, it is similiar to newer cars.

I have a leaking power stearing box in my 69 swinger. The shop manual says I will have to unbolt the left motor mount and jack the motor to clear the exhaust manifold. i have TTI headers on it. - Questions - will I have to raise the motor with the headers? - I have the steering links, and upper and lower control arms removed to install bushings. Anyone have any experience with this task? Where is the best place to buy a remaned or new box?

Dan

I just did this! I removed the Power steering pump because mine was leaking but it also gave me more room you may want to do this as well. I removed the battery and battery box. Unbolted the Left motor mount. My car is a 4 speed so I Removed the z bar bracket on the bellhousing. Removed the DS torsion bar. Removed Pitman arm from steering box. Jacked the engine by placing the jack with a block of wood under the Oil pan. Jacked up the engine and removed the gear box through the top.

I ended up getting another gear box from a friend and sent it to firmfeel to get rebuilt. So while that box was getting rebuilt I spent that time getting the old box out. It took about 4 weeks to get the new box from Firm Feel. I have not driven the car yet but I did fire it up on jack stands to see if everything was okay and there were no leaks and I can feel how "firm" the steering is compared to the old box!

I bit the bullet and took the drivers side header off. I have TTI headers, and they have a rempvable pipe so you don't have to remove the torsion bar. I already had the torsion bars out because I am also replacing the front end (PST Super kit) and installing a disc brake conversion from SSBC. The Brake kit reminded me of my old uncle Ambros who was born with 5 dicks - his pants fit him like a glove : ) The brake kit is awsome and looks cool too. Hope it works as good as it looks. The power steering box is easy to remmove with the header out. I purchased a rebuilt replacement from Parts Source (Canadian Tire) for 217 dollars (after casting returned). I learned from a link from FABO that you can get a firm feel steering set up for zero dollars. Aparently, if you add small shim to the relief valve in the power steering pump, you can drop the pump discharge pressure from 1350 psig to about 850 psig. This will change the steering feel from 1969 to 2010. If I don't like it, I can pop the relief valve, remove the shim, and I am back to 1969. I figure with the firmer feel, KYB shocks, and front discs I should be able to make it around a corner. Taking the header off made it much easier to plumb the new brake lines. If you ever try this, do your self a favour and use the Fed Hill Cunifer Copper/Nickle brake lines - easy to flare and a treat to bend.
Dan

-
Back