Replacing RearEnd Oil Seals

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Well I did this a couple of weeks ago and I apparently screwed up because I am leaking oil into my Brake drum. Should I drive the seal to the shoulder on a 7 3/4 rear end? I do not have the tool suggested by the service manual so I made one. I used a 2.25 od (seals says 2.3 od) washer and a 8 inch long 1/2 bolt.

I've used make shift drivers such as yours and they work fine as long as they fit snug. I haven't done a 7-1/4 but if their like a 8-3/4 there's a stop you drive them up against. That might be what your calling the shoulder. Could it be you installed the seals backwards? The side with the spring goes to the inside. You also have to grease up the seal and axle splines and be real careful installing the axles so you don't bugger the seal up.

If you can find a piece of PVC pipe at the home improvement stores that fits the seal drive the seal in with that.

Are you using the factory style taper axle bearings? If so they need to be adjusted correctly to keep the axle from moving up and down in the tube ruinning the new seals.

Turns out I was wrong. The seals did not get damaged. There was a little leaking but I believe that was do to the foam gasket being destroyed from age. I went ahead and replaced them hope it stops the leak.

-
Back