Replacing wheelhouses

-

dart6

Reaction score
I have a 72 Scamp with rusted inner and outer wheelhouses. I'm assuming it would be quite an ordeal to replace those. If i got someone to minitub it would that do away with the wheelhouses and make the job alot easier?

Are your quarter panels rusty too? You could buy a new outer wheelhouse if they are available for a Scamp. Normally, to mini tub a Mopar, you split the inner wheelhouse in a straight line end to end and then move the inner section up against the frame rail. While you have the inner ones out, you could patch them and put them back since a strip of metal is going to have to be welded in them to widen them. If the quarters are rusty, repair and modify one side at a time. Unless the wheel houses were rusted beyond repair, that is what I would do.

I have a 72 Scamp with rusted inner and outer wheelhouses. I'm assuming it would be quite an ordeal to replace those. If i got someone to minitub it would that do away with the wheelhouses and make the job alot easier?
The quarter panel would have to be off to replace the outer wheel house.

Not if you are going to mini tub it. Split the inner wheelhouse, then remove the width of the section in it that you need to add a strip of metal to when you move the inner wheelhouse to the frame rail. Then remove the remainder of the inner wheelhouse by drilling out the spot welds holding it in. Then drill out the spot welds holding the rusty outer wheelhouse to the car. Install the new outer with the piece of the old inner welded back on where they join. Install the inner against the frame rail in the proper place and then add the band of metal needed from one end to the other on the inner to mini tub it. You should be able to do it that way without messing up the good quarters if you are careful.

Yeah you don’t have to remove the quarter to replace the outer wheelhouse if you’re removing the inner wheelhouse. Makes the spot weld removal and welding a bit trickier but it’s not impossible at all.

I replaced a whole section of my outer wheelhouses to remove the “bump” in the outer wheelhouse and make room for more tire on my Duster, and I did that with the quarter and inner wheelhouse in place. Kind of a pain, but less work than doing the whole quarter.

Yeah you don’t have to remove the quarter to replace the outer wheelhouse if you’re removing the inner wheelhouse. Makes the spot weld removal and welding a bit trickier but it’s not impossible at all.

I replaced a whole section of my outer wheelhouses to remove the “bump” in the outer wheelhouse and make room for more tire on my Duster, and I did that with the quarter and inner wheelhouse in place. Kind of a pain, but less work than doing the whole quarter.

darn sure easier if he pays someone else to do it , I would at my age , for sure ...

-
Back