Repo Hood Insert Fitment Issue

-

jerkyboy

Reaction score
Got new hood inserts for my GTS from P&G. There are five plastic posts on each insert that affix to the hood using thread cutting nuts. The problem is the front post of each insert doesn't stick through the hood enough to get the thread cutting nut to start. I'm thinking of substituting a regular nut but I don't want to break the plastic post. Anyone experience this or have advice?

Today I bought some lower profile thread cutting nuts from my local hardware store and they are able to grab the tip of the post and hold the front of the insert in the hood bulge. However, I can't get it to sit flush. For those of you not familiar with the insert, it is made of two pieces, one sits inside of the other. The real problem is when they cast the the insert part with the plastic posts, the front post should have been moved 1/16" forward. So I think the way to fix the problem is to elongate the front hole just a bit so the post will set farther into the hole. I'll repost soon.

Good to know. I have possible future plans of putting a gts hood and inserts on my 68 post instead of the glass hemi one it has now.

-
Back