Reproduction 71 rear bumper?

-

ES848

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a replacement bumper and tail lights for the rear of my 71 dart swinger. I know the 70 model year rear bumper will bolt right up, but i'm torn between keeping it original or converting over to a 70 for lack of parts. After making a few phone calls to local shops it would cost 3 times more to have mine re-chromed as opposed to buying a new one and that still leaves me without tail lights as mine are in pretty rough shape. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a place where I could find a 71 reproduction rear bumper and tail lights before I pull the trigger on the 70 conversion.

Try 521 restoration for tail lights.

Screenshot_2016-08-17-21-42-56.png

I actually like the '71 better myself, the '70 version looks too clean. :D

But yeah, AMD isn't making the '71 rear bumper yet. Have to find one re-chromed or have it done. But, there's a reason why it costs 3x as much as a reproduction. The re-pops aren't made here. It's great that they reproduce them, but the original stuff is better. And you should be able to use '71 to '73, they all used the same tail lights at least.

Here's a '73. Pretty much the same, the rubber bumpers are larger but I think they're mounted in the same spot. Not perfect but in pretty good shape

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142068147380

Last edited:
Easy to find what your looking for. :thumbsup:

That's all I've been able to find and what I'm actually thinking of buying. That's a 70 rear end though the 71 had the dual tail lights with the jack slot in the bumper.

LOL... Yeah, I don't see 71-72 rear bumper on ebay...

The 70 looks better though IMO, but I understand wanting to do original style...

I kinda like the cleaner look of the 70 myself

I actually like the '71 better myself, the '70 version looks too clean. :D

But yeah, AMD isn't making the '71 rear bumper yet. Have to find one re-chromed or have it done. But, there's a reason why it costs 3x as much as a reproduction. The re-pops aren't made here. It's great that they reproduce them, but the original stuff is better. And you should be able to use '71 to '73, they all used the same tail lights at least.

Here's a '73. Pretty much the same, the rubber bumpers are larger but I think they're mounted in the same spot. Not perfect but in pretty good shape

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142068147380

Very true, I'm sure the car will be worth more and more sought after if I keep it original, but seeing as it's not a matching numbers car and I don't plan on selling, I'm not entirely focused on originality.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate the links and info

Talk to tri city plating in tenn.I sent them my bumpers off my duster and they did both for $325 a piece guaranteed for as long as you own the car.They did a great job on they turned out perfect.These after market one's and amd are junk.They also carry bumpers already done may have yours

Talk to tri city plating in tenn.I sent them my bumpers off my duster and they did both for $325 a piece guaranteed for as long as you own the car.They did a great job on they turned out perfect.These after market one's and amd are junk.They also carry bumpers already done may have yours

I'll have to look into that, thanks! The place around me is asking $900+ per bumper simply because they're the only ones in the area that do it and can get away with murder. Apparently they only do show quality work though but at 3x the cost of an aftermarket one it seems a little outrageous. Out of curiousity what makes you say the amd ones are junk? Do they not hold up well over the years?

I have just seen some amd bumbers that look real wavy.These bumpers i had done by tri city plating are show quality they look great.Call them they may have some already done for your car they stock bumpers of all kinds.Stay away from bumber boys also

IMO Tri-city sounds like THE place to go. I spoke with them a few years back about sending my '66 Satellite bumpers there and they sounded very professional and willing to back up there work. Didn't use them simply because I sold the car! I have a '70 swinger now, its funny but I've always liked the '71 bumper and tail lights better. My '70's are growing more on me every day. Good luck on your decision!

-
Back