reproduction dash pad queastion

-

wracks71

Reaction score
since i am doing the gauges in my dash,i figured i would do my dash pad since it needs a little attention and i want a black one. my question is,does anybody know anything about the reproduction dash pads from dante's or B/E&A? how good is the material,do they fit good? just dashes wants $450 to do a little piss ant a-body pad! plus the ride there and back! any input helpful.

since i am doing the gauges in my dash,i figured i would do my dash pad since it needs a little attention and i want a black one. my question is,does anybody know anything about the reproduction dash pads from dante's or B/E&A? how good is the material,do they fit good? just dashes wants $450 to do a little piss ant a-body pad! plus the ride there and back! any input helpful.

well i know that nobody caries the correct "grain" material for the 68 cars, but there was a guy on ebay selling pads for 100 bucks

do you have a link to the auction?! i don't really car about the grain as long as it is black. i am not a numbers match freak.

There is a big difference between a dash pad and a dash pad cap. The cap runs in the $100 range. This is a cap I installed over just the metal frame and carefully filled with Great Stuff from the back.

Attachments

• IMG_5611s.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 484
  • 9e2b_1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 454
I've talked with Mike Ross at BE/A. He was starting to make the pads for 68 Darts as no one was doing them, From what I could tell from phone conversations he was pretty annal about his product. He won't let it go out unless its right. I think his pads run about $250 to $300. I've never heard anything bad about him.

I've talked with Mike Ross at BE/A. He was starting to make the pads for 68 Darts as no one was doing them, From what I could tell from phone conversations he was pretty annal about his product. He won't let it go out unless its right. I think his pads run about $250 to $300. I've never heard anything bad about him.

lol! i talked to him the other day and he said they were about 2 months on back order. he seemed to get a little pissed when i asked him how they fit! sorta pissed ME off,but i guess if he is that sure of his product than he had the right. he told me of another place in ohio that recovers them like JUST DASHES. i need to call them this week.

i looked at the caps like 2 DARTS did,but i have the cash right now to do this "right",so i am either going to wait on a new one or get mine covered.

while we are on the subject. how hard is it to get the pad off? and what is the procedure?

Mine had to get notched because of the roll cage. The guy that did my seats bought enough material to cover the dash pad also. No doubt it will not look original but such is life. My friend had his recovered by just dashes, looked great but was close to $500. Then he had to cut it to get it around the cage.....

Attachments

• 000_0036.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 432
One thing about good/reconditioned used vs aftermarket…….. You know that a used part has fit and will fit on a car.

One of the first things that my instructor told us in collision repair and refinishing class……….. Aftermarket parts don't fit.

I realize that is not 100% accurate but more often than not it will be true.

(He also told us paint does not match…… That is why you blend)

Stanley doesn't lie is another rule…….

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=HT_TAPES_POWERLOCK

I love showing off my dash, my dashpad is from B E and A and I love it shipping sucked but anyways I bought one and had it on in a day FITS GREAT LOOKS GREAT only thing you have to decide is if you want to put the two screws into the lower parts of the dash I didnt put mine in but it still looks great getting the pad off is easy once you have the CLUSTER and GLOVE box door off.

Attachments

• 100_0721 (2).jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_0723.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 376
  • 100_0725.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 100_0728.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 413
  • 100_0729.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 386
hope its better than the bucket seat bezels i got from be&a

This is the grain difference they are talking about. You can see it clearly on this photo.
repodashpad4.jpg

I did have mine dyed to match. Once all pads were dyed, the difference in grain doesn't stand out so bad.

dashinstalled.jpg

Here it is again with the steering column and Grant wheel installed.
wheelinstall.jpg
wheelinstall2.jpg

nice cuda! i'm not real worried about the grain looking original. i am not a "originality" type guy.

Then you will be happy with the B E@ A pad. You don't have a 68 (new release so coming in a couple at a time), so it should be in stock. They have been selling the 69-on pad for a while.

i ordered a new one from PG last night. i guess we'll see how how it does!

-
Back