Reproduction or restoration for Headrest?? 1970

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I have a set of 1970 swinger bench seat head rests. Has anyone had any luck finding someone to restore the headrest?? The upholstry shops by me said to just buy the reproductions. Which are around $350 at yearone. Not sure who else might sell reproductions. That just seems super high. Just thought someone might have a better supplier or someone that has had them restored before. thanks
Mark

I just took a bench with headrests out of my 73 Swinger, and if I remember right they are in good condition. (don't remember seeing any damage on them)
They are black original material, and I could make you a hell of a deal on em if you want them.

classic industries has them for 275 a set. I had mine redone at an upholstry shop they charged 120 for the pair. not real close to the org. but still look good.
Howard

Whats wrong with the headrests you already have? Do they just need covers put on them? I suggest finding a better upholstery shop if they can't do something as simple as installing new foam and covers.

Ya they need new covers put on, i have the 70 headrest the ones with the chrome bezel. A little part of the foam is starting to seperate. Both shops said for the amount of labor and materials for these headrest. It wouldnt be in my best intrest to have them fixed. They said just buy the repops.

I took the shift boot from my Stealth to the guy who re-covered the buckets in my Duster. He took it apart and built me a new one.
If he had said I should just buy a repop I would have went to another upholsterer.
In other words, I agree with ESP47- try another upholsterer:D

Let me know what you come up with, i have left my original '70 swinger bench seat headrests with 3 different upholstery shops and they all said the same thing. because they were rubber molded foam it would take alot of work to strip them down then re-mold and shape them. and theres no guarentee they will look factory. i was recommended by all 3 to buy the re-pops, it would be alot cheaper and they will look correct.

-
Back