Rescued 1972 Swinger

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Hello, a little while ago I bought a 1974 Dart swinger. After some advice from some fellow members I came to the conclusion that the 74 was too rusty for me to repair. So I set out to find one in better condition. I've known about this 72 for a while but didn't think much of it. After taking a closer look at the car I realized it was in better condition body wise than my 74. So a few days ago I picked up this 72, excited to get this car going, I've got some rust repair to do but not nearly as much as my 74 :).

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice start. I see he also had a tan Dart or Valiant 4 dr next to it.

Haven't posted in a while, currently getting the money together for the floors, trunk etc... while looking through a local junkyard I spotted this 8 3/4 sitting under a late 60s fury III. It was easy enough to get out and I bought it for a fair price that I couldn't pass up. Going to move the perches in to A body spec and also shorten the housing to accept factory A body axle lengths.

IMG_0701.JPG

What was wrong with your 74? I mean how bad was the rust? Cool thread!

What was wrong with your 74? I mean how bad was the rust? Cool thread!
Floors, quarters, rockers, trunk, deck lid, Sail panels, around front and rear glass all rusted, that's the rust I've found so far. Car was originally from Charlotte NC, but spent most of its life in Virginia. Father Time has not been kind to it.

Oh wow, that is deff. alot to take on. I was asking cause i just bought back my old 74 and have a good bit of rust and previous owner repairs to take care of. Good luck with your build!

Finished taking the 8 3/4 apart. Haven't had much time to work on the car. Going to have it hot tanked next week before I shorten it. After that it will be going to get blasted and powder coated.

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

Floors, quarters, rockers, trunk, deck lid, Sail panels, around front and rear glass all rusted, that's the rust I've found so far. Car was originally from Charlotte NC, but spent most of its life in Virginia. Father Time has not been kind to it.

Smart move... Body and Paint will flat stop most Hot Rodders dead in their tracks and drain the Bank Account. Take anything and everything needed off the 74 and don't look back.... I have been robbing parts off my 73 Donor Car and even though it ain't in that bad a shape it sure is easy to walk out to the "junk yard" as I call it and grab odds and ends.....

Good luck,
JW

Smart move... Body and Paint will flat stop most Hot Rodders dead in their tracks and drain the Bank Account. Take anything and everything needed off the 74 and don't look back.... I have been robbing parts off my 73 Donor Car and even though it ain't in that bad a shape it sure is easy to walk out to the "junk yard" as I call it and grab odds and ends.....

Good luck,
JW

Thanks, pulling all I can use off of it then scrapping the rest. Pulling the front disc brake set up off of the 74 and putting it on the 72.

Well I might want to lick the meat off the 74's bones if you scrap it. Always picking up spare parts for mine. I built a 74 and a 72. What is your power plant choice?

Well I might want to lick the meat off the 74's bones if you scrap it. Always picking up spare parts for mine. I built a 74 and a 72. What is your power plant choice?
In the next week or so I'm going to pick up another 360 that's in a lot better condition than my current one, I'm going to run that one until I can get my 408 built.

Been looking for a mig welder for quite some time, finally found this one on Craigslist. Great condition and a lot of extras for half the price!!

IMG_0734.JPG

Been looking for a mig welder for quite some time, finally found this one on Craigslist. Great condition and a lot of extras for half the price!!

View attachment 1715007772
Excellent. That machine will do anything you could possibly do on a car. The dual voltage will pay off later. Glad to see you got a good machine.

Haven't made much progress on the car recently, still stripping it down to get ready for metal work. Was able to get my 8 3/4 shock plates powder coated. Turned out good.

IMG_0747.JPG

Had some time yesterday to work on the dart. Pulled the engine and trans, and removed all the exhaust. Still preparing the car for the new floorpan.

IMG_0762.JPG

-
Back