Reshape Fiberglass?

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm mounting new 'glass fenders on my '71 Duster clone. The shape of the curve where they meet the doors isn't a good match. (Looking down the side.)
Is there a way to "train" them to change their shape? It's lightweight 'glass, maybe that'll help?
They're new, but I didn't get them from the maker, I bought them from an ad on FABO. I don't have much in them, but I'd like to give them a shot.
I can post pictures, if it'll help. -I know, I know, everybody likes pictures! Tomorrow...

Here we are.
Also. I can hold it in the correct position by hand, but the mounting bolts won't hold it in the right position. This picture is with the top and bottom bolts in.

IMG_1961.JPG

I just had a thought. I installed them without the splash shield. -I don't know if thats what they're called, the plastic piece that runs vertically to the rear of the tire, from top to bottom.
It may be what's needed to hold the fender to the right shape. I'll put them on the next time I'm working on it.

Hey I've had issues with my front glass fenders also . Don't know where they are from , could be 30 year old fenders . I solved it with a brackets that I made, that pushed out the fenders to align with the door . Made it so I could adjust it on the car to push it out as much as I needed it

Hey I've had issues with my front glass fenders also . Don't know where they are from , could be 30 year old fenders . I solved it with a brackets that I made, that pushed out the fenders to align with the door . Made it so I could adjust it on the car to push it out as much as I needed it
Good idea. I'm also thinking I could make plywood templates to temporarily replace the splash shields; if they can't hold the shape being plastic.

Yea you will have to mess with them , that's for sure . Basically how mine worked , same principle as a tie rod sleeve . Turn one way spread apart , turn the other way gets smaller . My splash shield was comeoletely in the way , so o had to cut out a bunch of it .

Yea you will have to mess with them , that's for sure . Basically how mine worked , same principle as a tie rod sleeve . Turn one way spread apart , turn the other way gets smaller . My splash shield was comeoletely in the way , so o had to cut out a bunch of it .
If u had the correct splash shields for ur car, could u not use them to pull the fenders in, w/ some rigged pentastars or something,that have metal screws installed in them ? (screw them in to pull the fender in ? , or something like that! Maybe even d zus fasteners? Gotta be a way !

I've always heard they can be a pita, they are!
I was messing with them today. I'm sneaking up on them!

-
Back