***RESOLVED*** replaced dead battery, now engine doesn't turn over.

-
Just a quick update for everyone.

I managed to find the gremlin that was causing all my headaches.

I had a local mopar enthusiast come over and double check my novice work and try to help locate the issue. We were able to hotwire the car by sticking a wire from the positive battery lead to the ignition coil and trip the relay so that got us thinking about the wiring.

After inspecting all the wiring under the hood and couldn't find any issues I stuck my head under the dash and found a thicker brown that had gotten some damage to it. Chopped it out and reattached it with a crimp and the engine fired right up on the first turn of the key.

Gotta love old wiring...

You guys have offered a lot of really good suggestions.
One more thing to check, I've seen these things shed the timing gear so look to see that the rotor goes around while the engine is cranking. also check that it is actually pointing at #1 when it should be. This can very often happen to a high milage engine when the engine is shut off. I suppose it could also happen to a new timing gear that was improperly installed.
Good luck!
PS if you find the this is the problem, pull the pan and replace the oil pump screen. It will be plugged by timing gear teeth.

-
Back