Restoration Grilles

-

tkoboat

Reaction score
Hope someone can help. I was just at the Nats. There was a vendor in the swap area. They restored grilles. I can't find the business card. Please let me know if anyone recalls this vendor.Thank in advance.
T

Special T Restorations is the guy in swap meet. Bill PETROW he did my 69 DART GTS grill, my car was under the big tent in swap meet the blue one.

It is not really that hard to do it yourself. I did the one in my 68 Dart and it looks just fine in my opinion.

Attachments

• Dart1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 326
It is not really that hard to do it yourself. I did the one in my 68 Dart and it looks just fine in my opinion.

I was just going to do one myself too. Can't afford the big bucks trim restorers. What, basically, did you do? Products you used etc? It seems pretty straight forward, but I'd rather go with something someone else did and had success than try something that may or may not work out best.

Any advice/experience you can give would be appreciated.

pretty sure thats the 270 pattern, same as the SS darts. though GT/GTS did all the "lines" anodized??

I was just going to do one myself too. Can't afford the big bucks trim restorers. What, basically, did you do? Products you used etc? It seems pretty straight forward, but I'd rather go with something someone else did and had success than try something that may or may not work out best.

Any advice/experience you can give would be appreciated.

send the grill out and have it striped, straightened and polished. then find an anodizer and have the correct color put on it. then depending on the model you satin black most of it, grill argent other parts.

here is the SS/270 grill

Attachments

• DSCN1448.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCN1467.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 320
Had Alltrim do my Swinger grille as a GTS grille & it Looks Awesome. Yes you can do it yourself, for a lot less. But they will straighten it bright dip it, repaint all the argent & the black in the proper colours & send it back bolt in ready. But that's what I wanted.

Attachments

• 045 (1024x575).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 044 2.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 288
There is a LOT of prep work in redoing a grill. Is yours straight? I was lucky that mine was in good shape and did not need any work done on it, but the taping and spraying take a lot of time if you want it to turn out right

I have done a few my self. fix a crack or two, graft in plastic to fix a broke section, sand, paint, mask, paint yadayadayada............ LOL

Not hard just takes time and patience.

Yes I painted mine, but not all of it. There are certain areas that do NOT get painted, so you will need to get a good picture of what the grill should look like and paint as required. Use a good quality tape so you do not get paint bleed.

Are you still looking for a 68 GTS finish panel? I have two finish panels in my garage that I am not going to be using. PM me if you are still looking.

Alltrim seems to be out of business, FYI.

Well it was over 10 years ago I had mine done. Well maybe CudaChick should branch out into doing that as well... LOL Heard she is Very talented & thinking about sending her some work this winter. But that will be in a Poll I will start after I get back from Moparfest.
:burnout:

Yes I painted mine, but not all of it. There are certain areas that do NOT get painted, so you will need to get a good picture of what the grill should look like and paint as required. Use a good quality tape so you do not get paint bleed.

Gotcha. When you said you did the grille yourself, I thought you meant you had straightened and polished etc too, everything.

Well it was over 10 years ago I had mine done. Well maybe CudaChick should branch out into doing that as well... LOL Heard she is Very talented & thinking about sending her some work this winter. But that will be in a Poll I will start after I get back from Moparfest.
:burnout:

Thanks for the kind words there mrdodge! :-D Your suggestion was well taken a couple years ago, mostly at the prodding of a very good friend who owns NWBarracudas, one of the best trim restorers there ever was.

Between my pal Dana, King of Trim and Mike from AllTrim Plus, there weren't a lot of other quality choices for trim restoration ... and Dana and Mike both essentially retired from the industry. I got into it mainly to pick up Dana's referrals and to do what little I can to help 'fill the void' but would never hold myself out to be on the same level with those guys (not yet at least).

My main service is and always will be powder coating work and any trim restoration I take on is pretty selective. In fact, Billy HATES it when I take it on at all -- "You're a powder coater! Pick a specialty dammit!!! You can't be all things to everybody!!" -- and he's right of course ... but I also can't deny that I truly LOVE doing the work. It's very rewarding when ya compare the beat up, scratched and dinged "before" pictures with that glorious piece of shiny metal you now hold in your hand. And hey, my buffer is one of my favorite tools so it's a great reason to use it. :-D

I'll be looking forward to checking out the results of your Poll. Maybe a couple of my trim customers will pipe in with their opinions too.

-
Back