Restoration of '76 Dart Lite, Chapter 1

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
My plans with my 1976 Dart Lite got put into overdrive. One of the two spots in my garage was previously taken by a buddies '69 Valiant. He recently sold the Valiant, so the Dart has taken up residence.

Ultimate goals are to complete rust repair, remove engine, transmission, rear end, and K member, and paint. Interior will be secondary, but the car came to me several years ago with new carpet, so the rest will be a clean, dye, etc.

I have a spare /6, with the proper 4 speed OD (mine came with 3 speed manual), and an 8 3/4 rear end.

Overall, after paint, will be freshen up the spare /6, 4 speed OD, and 8 3/4, interior and have a mostly done driver.

I am starting rust repair. Drivers side first, then passenger side (car has to be snug against the wall on the other side for room to function.? Most of this will be done with electric hand tools, as my compressor is over at said buddies house while we flip cars out of his garage. I will try to document what tools were used, their costs, and methods. Since most of my repairs are mostly flat, and straight panels, I do not anticipate a bunch of compound, or complex bends. I did buy a small sheet metal brake (Harbor Freight 20.00) a while back, but do not anticpate needing it for this car (bought it to do the window channels on '70 Challenger).

Here is the Dart in it's new place
Keggerintake033.jpg

Here is the driver rear quarter panel, cut
Keggerintake034.jpg

Spark plug has been in the rear quarter so long it has rusted. Yuck.
Keggerintake035.jpg

This is branches, and dirt packed into the corners. I have run a hose through the quarter numerous times and the crap is still in there! First action will be to rinse, scrub, and neutralize the rust in the inner supports.
Keggerintake038.jpg

Thankfully, the wheel well is solid. :cheers:
Keggerintake039.jpg

The lower left is more packed mud and dirt that did not rinse out previously....
Keggerintake041.jpg

1st lesson learned: Move the wiring for the side marker light. I only managed to cut through one of the wires. I may eliminate side marker lights all together, I haven't decided yet.

2nd lesson learned: Wear ear plugs. Grinder is a little loud, and ears are ringing.

Tools used so far: Grinder (Harbor freight unit, 17.99 on sale, and 10 pack of cutoff discs, Harbor Freight, 5.99 with coupon) Safey Glasses (previously owned).

What gauge of sheetmetal should I get for the patch panels? I have some metal lying around, but I want to get it close to factory thickness?

18 if its just flat or 20 if it has complex bends, if your adventurous you can try 16. I used 16 for a trunk pan in my dart and I dont think I'll do that again.

Small update, I have chemically converted the rust, and cut out the patch panel. The patch panel is tacked into place, but the welder is not happy. At some point, the valve on the shielding gas was left open, so gas is empty. I need to get a new bottle, to make this a smoother process. This little MIG does not like welding without the gas. Pics to follow.

I have a 76 dart lite i will be working on shortly. i have a 72 camaro first i have to finish. Anyways are you interested in the slant 6 that came with my car ? Im not going stock with the build, and its the correct motor, ( aluminum intake) i also have the 4 speed but im not sure at this point if i want to part with it

I have a 76 dart lite i will be working on shortly. i have a 72 camaro first i have to finish. Anyways are you interested in the slant 6 that came with my car ? Im not going stock with the build, and its the correct motor, ( aluminum intake) i also have the 4 speed but im not sure at this point if i want to part with it

I have the /6 in the car currently, and it is staying /6, but alway open to spare motor. Let me know how your car progresses.

BTW, I need to get welding gas to continue. Welding sucks without it.

you can use solid core wire and flip the polarity on the welder cables. Won't be quite as good as a MIG weld, but will get the job done.

Nice job on the cutouts. My dart is getting the exact same repair soon. What are you using for neutralizing the rust?

-
Back