Restored car pet peeves

-
Can't complain about this .:D

17759847_10155208153073464_4765491219526624541_n.jpg

Cragars. Yep, I said it.
Seriously, they look alright on SOME cars, but is there some unwritten rule that every survivor, hot-rodded or restored car HAS to have them? I guess they’re better than slots, but the cookie-cutters just seem like a lack of imagination in the build.
OK I’m ready. Bring it. LOL

I agree and really dislike the 5 spoke Cragars, I do like the solid SST rims though. One place we differ is I love the aluminum slots. Again, just me, everyone can build as they see fit.

-Anything not built at least in part by the owner.
I bought my Scamp specifically to learn how to work on older cars and to gain an understanding of how engines work. While not a pet peeve of mine, I still don't understand why folks with the skills and are physically able, do not do the work on their own cars.

-Anything driven less than a thousand miles annually.
Again, not really a pet peeve, per se, but get that car out and drive it! It wants to feel the fresh air. It wants to have people admire it in the grocery store parking lot. Heck, the owner deserves it after putting in all that time and effort.

Flippers that call a car “Restored”
Bunch of parts scabbed together and tons of hidden suprises.

if i scab something together, its for me. And if someone wants it, i will tell what i know, and give them all the time they need to go over it.

The paint is usually more than enough to keep the museum curators and Concours d'Elegance judges far enough away. For the arm chair aficionados, I've got one on my other hand too....
DSC_0003.JPG

I still take it to shows now and then. Ya know, to clean it!

Calling a new Camaro Bumblebee, never see a Bumblee with stripes from front to back. Maybe a skunk....

i thought bumble bee was a VW bug?

but yes, anything you can get at a dealership today, i do not need to see at a car show

i dont care if it makes 700 HP bone stock

yes, anything you can get at a dealership today, i do not need to see at a car show

i dont care if it makes 700 HP bone stock
Yeah, that's a real peeve, I don't want to see all the new Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, Skylines, Supras, etc at a car show. If I want to see that stuff there's always a trip to a dealer. I go to see the old cars, and what different ideas people have for their own rides. If I want to see perfectly restored show cars, well then I guess it's World of Wheels or Carlisle, MCACN or some other purist type of gathering. Those are typically not my choice, I like the local show and shines, where the real street driven cars are.

Id have to say my pet peeve is restored cars in general... super boring and given that they were usually taken from the lot to the nearest speed shop when new it is clear that they were made to be altered... That said, I respect someone's desire to have such an animal, I just don't have any desire at all to look at one. My biggest pet peeve of all is people who built their car with their check book paying someone else to do all the work. I understand most people do not own a machine shop or body shop so I get that but not much worse then listening to someone explain how "his mechanic" did this or that or that the shop he "commissioned" to build the car did this or that. I know it is a real deal and there are lots of people who do have the tools, knowledge or even desire to work on cars but as soon as I hear about the "shop" i am out. I'd rather talk to that guy. Point in case, the Cuda that Rad Rides by Troy built for Joe Rogan, don't want to talk to Joe, would much rather talk to Troy.

So go ahead and red X away.. LOL

Last edited:
Id have to say my pet peeve is restored cars in general... super boring and given that they were usually take from the lot to the nearest speed shop when new it is clear that they were made to be altered... That said, I respect someone's desire to have such an animal, I just don't have any desire at all to look at one. My biggest pet peeve of all is people who built their car with their check book paying someone else to do all the work. I understand most people do not own a machine shop or body shop so I get that but not much worse then listening to someone explain how "his mechanic" did this or that or that the shop he "commissioned" to build the car did this or that. I know it is a real deal and there are lots of people who do have the tools, knowledge or even desire to work on cars but as soon as I hear about the "shop" i am out. I'd rather talk to that guy. Point in case, the Cuda that Rad Rides by Troy built for Joe Rogan, don't want to talk to Joe, would much rather talk to Troy.

So go ahead and red X away.. LOL
So, if something comes up, and you are forced to sell car,someone is essentially writing a cheque. Some guys build to sell, others sell to build. The cheque writers are part of this hobby,and their talent isnt mechanical aptitude..
I truly do appreciate someone that puts their time into fixing up these relics,and in their own taste. Gotta keep the history alive

Got nothing against anyone who buys a car or even pays for one to be built, what I dislike is those people who do either and then talk like they are the ones who actually built the car; citing facts, numbers, etc. If someone says "I bought it that way" or "I had a shop build it" then so be it, but far too many of them turn around and act like they turned the wrenches but it takes like 10 seconds to figure out they are full of **** because they don't know anything other than the basics and more times than not get that wrong as well.

Look, it takes all kinds and it is a big hobby and a free country, so there will be some of everything at any car show. The question posed was what our pet peeves were and that was what I expressed. I recognize that many others feel completely different and that is fine, each to his/her own. Some people love restored cars, obsess over numbers and correctness, I on the other hand love ingenuity and artistry. I would spend hours talking to a guy who built his hotrod, rat rod or street rod before I would spend 5 minutes looking at a restored car. I saw them when they were new or near new, I am good. Purely my opinion but there is just nothing interesting about a restored car; don't care how the paint runs and orange peel were purposely applied or what style bolt head was used on this or that part. A survivor is slightly more interesting only because it did survive, but a hot rod or something someone actually built with their own hands is far more interesting.

Yes, I know that the check book warriors are a part of the hobby, good for them and again each to his own. On another forum there is a guy with a 6 pack B body that has to remind everyone in virtually every post that his car is a real 6 pack car and every post where he is talking about a problem has something like the following "waiting on my mechanic to come by" or "my mechanic says....". I have no doubt that his mechanic pretty much hates him because he goes online and gets all sorts of advice which he no doubt lays on his mechanic. I'd put up with that about 1 time and then I would tell him to get his forum buddies to fix his ****.

Just an opinion here, I may see it differently than some of you:
There must be something in the nature of many of us to call out something that we see as defects.
It gets worse in regards to a car on display at a show. Something about a car show brings out the critics, right?
Some people feel compelled to bring attention to things that they see as incorrect, fake, unoriginal, not stock or just wrong.
Some of the critics are decent people that may NOT think that others might get pissed about being criticized. If you complain about their comments, they are surprised and caught off guard....Much like the Husband that can't understand why the Wife is pissed.
Also....
The nicer the car, often times... the more critical people get. When my Charger was a battle scarred green bomb, people loved it. Once it was painted, I'd get a few compliments as well as a few comments on how the wheels were too big, paint is too smooth or that a panel gap wasn't consistent.
I think the people that call those things out are arrogant enough to think they actually know more about the car than the owner of it or they just make themselves feel better by putting down someone else’s ride. People are strange, but these people are why I stopped going to car shows 30 years ago.

People that point out every flaw like they are competent enough to restore a car without a single flaw. That's what is wrong with car shows... who cares what is right or wrong with it... it drove there and it is someone's pride and joy.

Yeah, I've owned my cars for decades, and I know more about their many flaws than someone who's spent a total of a few minutes looking at it. On the other hand, when I look at a motor and see that the fan is on backwards I kind feel like I should let the owner know. Of course, if the fan is on backwards and they don't know, it's probably because they never drive it.

Speaking of flippers, I know one - basically a good guy, good to his family, a good friend, but a flipper. He claims to have "restored" umpteen hundred cars, but mostly he just gets them painted and has some interior work done and calls it restored. Every now and then he gets me to help him on mechanical stuff if the car won't make it 3-4 miles to the nearest cruise night and back, but he does as little as possible. One time he wanted me to tow one of his cars to a swap meet 60 miles away. I asked him why didn't he just drive it? He about swooned at the thought of doing that.

Despite all that, some of the cars he has sold were actually pretty decent. If it was basically sound to start with, his freshening up would enhance its true value. On the other hand, if it had structural problems when he bought it, they would not be fixed properly when he was done with it, and to do so would require undoing whatever he had done.

In his defense, he really doesn't understand anything about how a car or any of its systems work, so he mostly doesn't understand the difference between a perfumed pig and a properly done car, or a car that can be driven 5-10 miles without blowing up and one that you can hop in and drive across the country.

When I first met him, I'd give him parts for practically nothing. When I found out all he was gonna do was turn around and sell the car at a profit, then brag about it, I started charging him fair prices. He'd moan and complain, but he always paid my price. Where else was he gonna get what he needed?

-
Back