Restoring 64-66 Dart GT/Barracuda interior door emblems

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I need to strip the old black paint and repaint the inserts and around the letters on the chrome, rectangle emblems that go on the upper metal part of the inner door and clip in the round holes. The chrome is in good shape and I don't want to damage it in any way. I was thinking about low pressure baking soda blasting them. Anybody have any other ways or suggestions?

I need to strip the old black paint and repaint the inserts and around the letters on the chrome, rectangle emblems that go on the upper metal part of the inner door and clip in the round holes. The chrome is in good shape and I don't want to damage it in any way. I was thinking about low pressure baking soda blasting them. Anybody have any other ways or suggestions?

Hi mike

if these are removable from the door panel, and are chromed pot metal, remove em, and soak them in DOT 3 brake fluid for a few days, mebbe a week. Then use an old tooth brush and laquer thinner to scrub em clean. This shouldent harm anything but will remove the old paint.

Hope this helps
Matt

Hi mike

if these are removable from the door panel, and are chromed pot metal, remove em, and soak them in DOT 3 brake fluid for a few days, mebbe a week. Then use an old tooth brush and laquer thinner to scrub em clean. This shouldent harm anything but will remove the old paint.

Hope this helps
Matt

Matt,

They are removable. I completely forgot about using brake fluid. I guess I must be getting old! I will do that and post some pictures on how they come out.

Thanks,

Mike :banghead:

Matt,

They are removable. I completely forgot about using brake fluid. I guess I must be getting old! I will do that and post some pictures on how they come out.

Thanks,

Mike :banghead:

How do you get them off ? I see no way to get to the back side of them.

How do you get them off ? I see no way to get to the back side of them.

they clip into the 2 largish holes that are shown in this door.
View attachment DSCF3021.JPG

]_____[ ---------------------------------------------- ]_____[
----------------------------------------------------------------

is what the clip looks like that's attached to the back side of the door emblem
that goes into the door. they are delicate so be careful. if you can see if you can get behine the emblems and push from the inside or just jb weld the clips on if they break the pot metal rivets holding them onto the door.

They snap on with spring clips, made onto the emblem. Best way I have found is to use a putty knife and slide it behind from the top or bottom and catch the clip and gently release it from the hole in the door. Don't pry out or try to pull them off or you will bend it or pull the clip loose from where it is riveted to the emblem.

-
Back