Restoring a 65 Barracuda...and the 7 1/4" rear

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions/advice as to the best person or shop to rebuild the 7 1/4" 3:23 differential in my 65 Formula S. Currently there are no mechanical problems with the rear, but I do have a SureGrip unit I would like to add to the current non SureGrip rear end during a rebuild.

I leave transmissions and rear end rebuilding to those with experience and the tools for the job. And, after reading the maintenance manual and discovering the case requires a special tool to expand the casing up to .020" to remove the gears, I am convinced my decision is a correct one.

I'm not interested in upgrading to other rears....my plan is to keep the car as original as possible. I have already rebuilt the ball and trunion joint on the front of the driveshaft........so you know I must be serious about rebuilding and using the original rear.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....I live in northwestern Virginia, about 70 miles west of Washington DC

Thanks, Pat

Can help you out as far as a shop to rebuild the 7 & 1/4 but did want to say hi. See you live in Front Royal; I'm next town over going west in Strasburg.

If your car is a V8, scrap the 7 1/4 cause its your weak link(unless you do not drive it much or too hard), find a 8 1/4. If its a six, 7 1/4 is fine.

Can help you out as far as a shop to rebuild the 7 & 1/4 but did want to say hi. See you live in Front Royal; I'm next town over going west in Strasburg.
Hi to you....I believe we have communicated in the past. I have a 65 Barracuda S with 4 speed currently under a restoration.
What are you suggestions and a good source to do the rear end work?
Thanks, Pat

Hi to you....I believe we have communicated in the past. I have a 65 Barracuda S with 4 speed currently under a restoration.
What are you suggestions and a good source to do the rear end work?
Thanks, Pat

Hi Pat - we might have talked in the past. Of course some days I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Possibly your best bet might be Marlowe Motors or Woodstock Garage; I had an 8 & 1/4 rebuilt at Woodstock Garage and they did a great job. Other than being a dealer, don't know anything about Marlowe. Personally, I'd swap it out for an 8 & 3/4 since you have a V8 4 speed and with that combo you could tear up the 7 & 1/4 with some aggressive clutch work. All my A Bodies have (or will have) the 8 & 3/4.

If your car is a V8, scrap the 7 1/4 cause its your weak link(unless you do not drive it much or too hard), find a 8 1/4. If its a six, 7 1/4 is fine.

pbiggs "I'm not interested in upgrading to other rears....my plan is to keep the car as original as possible."

Read entire post first.

Is the suregrip unit you have for a 7 1/4" rear end?? If it is it's a pretty rare find and a good add. If it's not from a 7 1/4" rear it will not fit. Sorry i can't help locate a good shop in your area, but I live in Michigan. Good luck with your project, Geof

-
Back