Restoring a Duster...

-

kujo

Reaction score
I'm glad to see the pictures of other people restoring Dusters. That I'm not alone. When I started on my Duster my mom said "why didn't you fix up an old Challenger or something cool you know they used to make fun of people if they drove Duster's when I was in school" Her friend also told me about her grandma that had a Duster. It was just a little discouraging. Anyway, I'm glad to see others putting in the effort to bring back a Duster.

Kujo,
don't be discouraged, the Dusters we drove NOBODY made fun of!
I'm pretty sure that if your mom saw this in her rear view mirror she wouldn't either.
keep the faith
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo489.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 395
I had a 75 Duster in high school- graduated in 89. They may not have been "cool" when your mom was in school- but hey- they rock now! They are actually one of the best cars to hot rod because of their weight and the weight distribution. I have a Mopar book that says so! Also- thats what the bad *** guy on beavis and butthead drives lol. And what movie?? "Dazed and Confused" Oh yeah baby!! Mathew McConnehey?? drove it. I sold my 74 duster 10 years ago. Bought a 75 in Mar to replace it. Found the one I sold 10 years ago on ebay- never touched since I sold it to him- bought it back. Now have a 360/904 in it- again hehe. I have some spare parts- head light bezels, wiring harnesses, and some other various odds and ends. Even some extra dash speedo bezels and wood grain dash stuff.
Welcome to the cool crowd!!

Hey Blue Missile- what the %^&$ is that?? Did you steal that from the devils playground?? Man that thing looks hella mean!! Cool job!

Your mom is correct. Dusters were grandma cars. Well other than the 340 cars that they did not make a lot of. A motor swap and some good old hot rodding will fix that though.

I love them my self. Small and light.

kujo, invite mom on line to look around. Lots of cool Dusters here. Don't know if mine is "cool" or not, but I just got it road-worthy.
C

Attachments

• DSC00636 (Medium).JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC00633 (Medium).JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 374
Give mom a little credit, at least she knows the relative book value :)
Bet most folks moms don't.

Not too many people laughed at my 73 with a 360.
well, a few did snicker at the plum crazy paint, but they usually shut up real fast.

Yeah, maybe 30 years ago when you could get a 440 six pack cuda for $800 bucks Dusters weren't so cool. But, now they're pretty friggin cool. I wish I had better pics of mine to post here's one from when I first got it. The last inspection tag was 1988 it's a 71 340 that was missing the sharkstooth grille and engine when I bought it. Bluestreaks car looks like it's straight out of Mad Max.

Attachments

• DSC02215.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 367
Would be cool to see a grandma driving a BB Duster. Think I am going to get a grandma costume when I get done with my Duster. Kids in there Hondas will never see the butt kicking coming. WOW that grandma just smoked us! HAHAHA

Attachments

• gma.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 344
nothin' wrong with Dusters- and nobody ever laughed at mine when it had the 340 in it- at least nobody who ever pulled up beside it, anyways (and a lot of people knew better than to even think about it).

Dusters are the ****!!! Never got much respect when they first came out but as posted here. They sure do now!!!

Attachments

• 3274250003_large.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 342
  • 3274250041_large.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 365
  • i18098.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 357
You have to store a Duster before you re-store a Duster.

You can't redo something that you have not done in the first place...

I recently started to build one myself and already getting a fair amount of positive feedback.... You'll get a lot of comments and looks ("is that a Nova") because you just don't see a lot of them out there these days. Fire up that 340 and have fun brother. Look forward to following your restoration.

IMG_4066-1.jpg

Pat

heres mine......sorry for the crappy cell pics. i doubt grandma would drive this one...

Attachments

• d77.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 332
  • d84.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 337
  • d81.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 333
I bow to the pic requests, but check out my thread on members restorations. not only are all the pics there but step by step for most of the projects as well.
Also it will get a little meaner looking when the air grabber section of the scoop is finished.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo494.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 719
  • Photo388.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 302
  • Photo522.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 312
Start a build thread here and you will be amazed at all the help and advice you will get.

Hey blue missile how did you make that mad max style bumper it cool as **** and with a little work would blend well into a body kit that you would have to fabricate. still way neat looking.

Arco,
the build is on "members restorations" and its called "the birth of the blue missile"
For more detailed project information do a search on body & paint for my threads its in there as well.
Andrew

Heck ya.... Dusters are COOL in my book !!
Owned and operated on for 23 years now !
-RPM

P1020092.jpg

P1010611.jpg

P1010613.jpg

P1010422.jpg

Hi there,
so I´m also glad, that I´m not alone with my first MOPAR project.
I can´t believe, that someone think about a Duster it´s a grandma´s car!
If you give this car a little bit agressive coloring, the rear a little bit higher and the power that a muscle car needs - I think it looks better than a MUSTANG coupe of the 70´s.
In my introduction ( welcome wagon ) here I showed, what I have planed with my 70-er DUSTER ... I love the color combination ( Green/Grey ) of the 70-Duster of Kenny Wayne Sheppard. ( I´ve never heard about him before I´m interested in Dusters . to day I´ve bought my first CD from his Band... really good rockin´muisc !

... or the lime green color ? ( looks like a too smaler barracuda )

The color combination from rpm ( red / grey ) in this thread also looks very cool !

What do you mean about this ? How should I decide ?
Peter

Attachments

• 0803phr_12_z%2B1970_plymouth_duster%2B.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 528
  • 71ply49584-1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,027
I learned a long time ago...as much as I love my mother, not to take her opinions too seriously! hahahah! The 71 Duster was my dream car growing up. Back then my buddies all wanted to grow up and own Countach's 911 carrera's and Testa Rossa's. They laughed at me for wanting "that crappy Nova knock-off" Now they all think my Duster is well on its way to being badass! Oh and just for the record...I am the only one in the bunch that has his dream car! Hahahaha

Hi there,
so I´m also glad, that I´m not alone with my first MOPAR project.
I can´t believe, that someone think about a Duster it´s a grandma´s car!
If you give this car a little bit agressive coloring, the rear a little bit higher and the power that a muscle car needs - I think it looks better than a MUSTANG coupe of the 70´s.
In my introduction ( welcome wagon ) here I showed, what I have planed with my 70-er DUSTER ... I love the color combination ( Green/Grey ) of the 70-Duster of Kenny Wayne Sheppard. ( I´ve never heard about him before I´m interested in Dusters . to day I´ve bought my first CD from his Band... really good rockin´muisc !

... or the lime green color ? ( looks like a too smaler barracuda )

The color combination from rpm ( red / grey ) in this thread also looks very cool !

What do you mean about this ? How should I decide ?
Peter

I think both the Dusters you pictured are too pretty. Dusters look better rough on the edges in my opinion. You know when you can look at them and tell that they get the hell beat out of em. Mine's gonna be sherwood forest green with a flat finish and white 340 stripes. All my brightwork will be painted argent.

Happy Gilmore even drove a Duster

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHWurusOw68&feature=player_detailpage"]Adam Sandler VS Bob Barker!!! - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back