"Restoring a junkyard car"

-

Palmetto

Reaction score
I purchased a slant 6 74 Dart Sport and I love the car. It was just a body, no motor or tranny. It did not have a title with it because it was junked. The lady at the DMV mentioned that once I get the car running and everything working an inspector from the county will come out take pics and inspect it, if it passes, then issue me a title. The original motor and tranny were missing, so I dropped in a 318 V8 and 904. Do you think this engine will be a problem for the inspector?

Would this car be considered a remanufactured car or will they treat it like a regular classic car tax and insurance wise. I live in NC...

I heard that they will assess the value of the car by how much money I put into it to restore it. Is this true?

I purchased a slant 6 74 Dart Sport and I love the car. It was just a body, no motor or tranny. It did not have a title with it because it was junked. The lady at the DMV mentioned that once I get the car running and everything working an inspector from the county will come out take pics and inspect it, if it passes, then issue me a title. The original motor and tranny were missing, so I dropped in a 318 V8 and 904. Do you think this engine will be a problem for the inspector?

Would this car be considered a remanufactured car or will they treat it like a regular classic car tax and insurance wise. I live in NC...

I heard that they will assess the value of the car by how much money I put into it to restore it. Is this true?

I think I would spend the least amount possible to get it running and drivable, then get your title, and after title is in hand go forward with upgrades

My uncle did this with an 87 Jeep Wagoneer. You get the title from an insurance company and its called an indemnity bond. Easy to do. The inspector just takes down whatever you know about the car as far as history and everything and makes sure it is legal to drive on the roads with a visual inpection. He also takes down the VIN to make sure the car is not stolen or wanted for any reason. I believe all that you have to pay is the tax on the value of the vehicle or a minimum of $75, but I can't remember. Not sure about how they'll do it if theres a really obvious change to the vehicle like going from a \6 to a V8 though. Good luck!
-Forrest

I spoke with the inspector and got good news. All I have to do is show receipts for everything to make sure nothing is stolen. Then get the car running and functioning well and have it inspected. Then get an indemnity bond for a couple hundred bucks and I am issued a title.

Older antique cars they do not worry about engines, that is only for newer cars that are within the age to have emission inspections. Cool!

Your title will most likely say "salvage" which would affect the resale value of a newer vehicle. But since you rescued a 40 year old economy car from a junkyard I think you'll be OK. Get it running, drive it and feel good you "recycled" a whole car.

yes in Michigan it is a salvage title, and as said in the post before mine if it is a newer car good luck selling it but with an older car no problem

i've done a few indemnity bonds and you get a regular title,and the bond is 100$...so i dont think you'll have any problems at all.
ttyl...mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for all your help on the car, man I love this thing.... I have been slowly going through it as money and time allows. Everything is fine with the bond and title, I called the county inspector to get the details on the whole process.

I got spooked by what some guys were saying about how picky the inspectors are before granting titles. Thankfully, North Carolina is one of the best states for people that like old cars and fixing them up. I didn't want to get too far into it and have this gorgeous car and they reject because of something stupid like the non-original motor and tranny.

Sheesh, I wish Missouri was that easy. Here, if it's "junked" at all, that's it...end of the line. If it goes "salvage", you can rebuild it but it's branded prior-salvage and the resale goes down the twa-let.

Sheesh, I wish Missouri was that easy. Here, if it's "junked" at all, that's it...end of the line. If it goes "salvage", you can rebuild it but it's branded prior-salvage and the resale goes down the twa-let.

I'm sure glad Kansas isn't like that yet. It's probably only a matter of time though.

-
Back