Resurrecting a Dart

-

McGurik

Reaction score
Hello all, I just wanted to post here and say thank you for the all info stored in these boards. My father was almost done restoring a 1969 dart with a crate 360 Magnum before he passed three years ago, I took it over three months ago and started rewiring the engine bay. It previously had work done but was done terribly. I wanted to “clean up” the previous mistakes and mitigate any troubleshooting in future. After three months of learning about a car’s electrical system and replacing poor splices I got to turn it over today and it idles well. I am obviously very excited at the achievement and really wanted to thank these boards for keeping me up late reading all your comments.

That being said, I wanted to add some notes of my own to help any future modders. The engine was running prior to me starting so I knew everything was there but I found x2 ignition control boxes and some poor splices. My dad had purchased and installed a MSD 6a (Mopar performance branded, now discontinued I believe) but it also had the orange mopar electronic ignition control unit. I kept the MSD unit and deleted the Mopar control unit and ballast resistor. I replaced the firewall bulkhead connector and did the mad amp meter bypass. I also added a kit from mad to add a relay to the ignition. My only real trouble came when trying to figure out an ignition trigger for the relay. As mentioned on these boards, I used the blue and brown wires for the MSD switch (small red) but needed another ignition source for the relay. Initially I chose wrong and used the yellow ignition that runs to the starter relay but after a night of it not starting I slept on it. Upon review in the morning, I moved the yellow to the starter relay and cut the MSD switch power. I moved the firewall side of the MSD switch (dark blue and brown spliced together) to trigger the ignition relay. And then spliced the output of the relay to power both the ign side of VR and the MSD switch power. My mom started it right up while I sprayed a bit of starter fluid into the mighty demon 750 carb. There is still more work to be done but am happy to hear it run and see my mom smile.

I gave a very condensed version of events and this is a larger auto project than any I had previously undertaken. I am always open to suggestions if I made a mistake if you have questions. But these boards give me a lot of confidence to troubleshoot any problems.

Losing your Dad is tough but ya always know his spirit is watching over you and I'm sure he's grinning saying "That's my boy!" right now. I lost my Dad back in '05 and still miss talking Mopars with him. I have his Dart but would give away in a second to talk to him right now. He was a machinist by trade and I swear some of the busted bolts that I've drilled out and removed were guided by him because I by myself am a clutz.! Good job on figuring all that out on your car man !!

-
Back