Resurrection of the old Reverse Light Thread

-
I got the Vintage Paint rattle can today. DD-1; Light Blue Poly.
Tomorrow will be nearly 70 degrees here, so I will trying it out below the rear bumper where the reverse lights go.
I already have it sanded and primed, ready to go.

Also took my door panels to a local vintage upholstery shop to have vinyl fabric placed in the center panel.
I'm sure the previous owner, old guy, just sprayed white paint there on hs own.
Looked pretty ratty to my artsitic eye, even if it is original correct.
And, the white arm rest frame looked out of place in white. Painted that flat black.

Got the correct RH taillight today too.
Cleaned it up, and am refreshing the little black line that was flaking out.

DD1....

that's the same color as my 67 dart

I have only heard of one other car that color here in fabo

DD1....

that's the same color as my 67 dart

I have only heard of one other car that color here in fabo

IMG_0477.JPG

NASA we have a problem...

I approached Soonercruiser to loan me the Barracuda backup light he has so I could reverse engineer it.

He graciously did so.

When I start the RE process I always look for a part number to name the part.

In doing so I discovered the believed to be Barracuda housing is in fact a 67 Mustang housing.

C7ZB-15A509-A

View attachment 1716167600

View attachment 1716167601

Looks like a PO did the swap.

This also explains the 1 wire OEM chrysler pigtail vs the 2 wire pigtail issue.

I suspect Ford used one housing to power the other hence there being a male and female connector on the housing.

Swiped these images from Mattax's backup light thread 67, 69 Barracuda and similar early reverse lights

and the 67 housing is reproduced 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Back-up Light Bezels

67 Barracuda backup light...
View attachment 1716167623
This is very interesting to me.
Question for you @Dana67Dart,

I am wondering if you think it would be possible to cut away the outer bezel of a Mustang Reverse Lamp Housing to be left with just what I would need to replace my missing 69 reverse light Sockets? These sockets are as hard to find as hens teeth. Mustang 67-68 reverse housings seem to be plentiful and relatively inexpensive. I'd just hack up some used ones.
BTW I already have Nice New 69 Reverse Light Chrome Bezels, so just need to get lights mounted into them.

69 Reverse Light Sockets. Basically unobtanium...
1709276913524.png

Was thinking of cutting the "Lamp" section out of Mustang Housings to replace the 69 sockets pictured above.
What do you think? Am I crazy.

1709276586434.png

One more for the gang to consider.
I was also looking at 64-66 Mustang front parking lights as candidates to cannibalize... I have no frame of reference for size though...

These are the Mustang Parking lights... Bulbs are 1157 Park/Turn but a work around for that and the wiring would be simple.
The sockets look like they might be stamped sheet metal and riveted in, not part of the pot metal castings...
If that's the case and the size works, they could be better to work with. "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

If anyone here has a 64-66 Mustang and could provide a measurement on the park light lens mounting screws center to center, I could figure it from there.
1709277690029.png

Anything like that is possible with a little DIY talent and determination!
Can't tell you how many DIY projects like that I have done in the past to "make do"!
Go for it!

Just got the 67 back from the shop yesterday.
Richie was painting the engine bay, and did several other projects for me. Bohach Rot Rod Shop in NOrman, OK.

I had DIY rattle can painted the driver's side rear quarter, where someone had repaired it leaving some cracks in bondo around the gas cap area, and a horrible paint match.
The rattle cans I used were from TouchupDirect, where we had gone back and forth on modifying the DD1 formula to match my aged light blue metallic.
I made sure that I topped it off with 5 coats of clear, which left it with some orange peel look.
But, that was thick enough for Richie to wet sand and buff out like new.
And, a great match! (picture today)
He even used my TouchupDirect spray to blend the edges of the engine bay transitions to the body.
(And, without asking me, or charging me, buffed out and waxed the whole body! And removed the peeling vinyl pin stripes and glue before hand.)
Can't tell you how good it feels to have folk that can great work like this! :steering:

left rear qtr panel painted.jpg

Nice! Got a link?
Sure. CA MA15309

Not sure how close they are in size but I figured it was not that big a gamble.
I just ordered (2) of these "Passenger" side. I just want the sockets inside.

Found this picture of used Parking Light Housings and Sockets separated. Looks even more doable to me now... They are Higher priced than Summit!
Just eyeballing them makes me think I'll be able to make them work without getting too crazy.
Sockets and wiring are for 1157 bulbs but not difficult to work around...
1709330437494.png

I am wondering if you think it would be possible to cut away the outer bezel of a Mustang Reverse Lamp Housing to be left with just what I would need to replace my missing 69 reverse light Sockets

$15.99 a piece From Summit... Cheaper than used ones on EBay
I think the 15.99 are going to be a better option.

Some sheet metal trimming

I think you got a winner there

Well, I have not been able to locate my reverse light sockets... they will most likely eventually turn up but for now I found a backup solution... no pun intended.65-66 Mustang Front Parking light sockets... Not an exact match to the 69 Barracuda reverse light sockets but close enough that I can make them work.
My MIA light sockets, they'll probably turn up when the car is finished...
1710090103033.png

Searched for good used sockets but refused to pay $150 for crusty 55 year old sockets.
So I looked for alternatives and took a chance on these. Just from the look in the picture, I thought they might work. So I rolled the dice.
Winner winner!
Mustang front park/turn sockets.
Bought 2 of these from Summit for $15.99 each. Bought 2 "Right" side since they were the cheapest.
Link: CA MA15309
1710090034955.png

Mustang sockets removed from the housings.
1710090239029.png

I had to drill the holes for the set screws. Then I applied some silicone to the foam gaskets that go between the socket and the glass lens for a better weathertight seal.

This is what it looks like installed in the 69 reverse lamp chrome bezel.
1710090471955.png

Mustang wiring is 3/wire, Turn/Brake, Park and Ground, for 1157 bulb.
I'll adapt the 69 wiring to accommodate the1157 Turn/Park wiring and switch to LED bulbs.

Will either just use the Turn-Brake filament for reverse or combine the 2 hot wires and have reverse use both filaments for the Brightest possible reverse lights... I'll experiment with them a little first...

Thought about removing the swedged in 1157 bulb holders and replacing them with 1156 holders but decided to just run them as is.

Still a good chance I'll find my original 69 sockets as more and more of the boxes and bins get emptied out during reassembly...

If not, I think this will work fine as a permanent solution.

My Build Thread: 6.1 Hemi 69 Barracuda Fastback Father Son Project
1710091150011.png

Mustang wiring is 3/wire, Turn/Brake, Park and Ground, for 1157 bulb.
I'll adapt the 69 wiring to accommodate the1157 Turn/Park wiring and switch to LED bulbs
You can use the ground and one of the 2 filaments (which ever is closest to the wattage of the OEM backup lamp)

Make an adapter cord so you don't have to chop up the Chrysler OEM wiring

You can use the ground and one of the 2 filaments (which ever is closest to the wattage of the OEM backup lamp)

Make an adapter cord so you don't have to chop up the Chrysler OEM wiring
Yup, running LED bulbs so I'll take the stock single Reverse wire and convert the ford plug into a single hot by combining both + wires to the same female "Mopar Style" plug. The ford ground I'll bond to the body/chassis.
Both circuits combined will still be less wattage than an incandescent 1157 brake only wattage.
I usually tie all of the tail/turn/brake mounting studs in the trunk together for a good ground connection. I'll do the same with these.

Sounds like you found a good replacement option.

Have you rest fit it on the car?

I wonder if the angle of the Chrysler one is for fitment or bulb angle

Here is a side view.
1710111229421.png

Installed into the car the socket passes through the hole in the valance. I just used a 9v battery to test.

1710111319264.png

Hard to hold the battery, phone and make contact with the wires to the battery and take a picture with only 2 hands.
1710111468619.png

This is directly behind the driver's side reverse light. This is turn/brake without park.
Turned off the garage lights for this picture. It's only a couple feet back. Seemed like a pretty good spread and plenty bright.
1710111587427.png

I still need to paint the inner rim of the reverse bezel black. These did not come pre-painted.
I'm also going to glue the rubber/vinyl gasket onto the housing before I mount them.

Well you all wore me down...

Now if I only had a real one to take measurements from! (hint hint!)

1710191060477.png

Another hour and a half and I will have a working prototype. I already have a new bulb and socket from my 67 Dart back up lights add a little chrome spray inside. I luckily have 2 years of the chrome cover part to test it on. No lense though! :(

Ok so now for the question of the day...

67 Barracuda has backup lights under the bumper

1710201039029.png

68 Barracuda the backup light is incorporated into the Brake/Tail light lens/housing

1710201087182.png

69 has under the bumper Back up lights like in 67 (BUT not the same chrome housing, and there was a Jan 1 1969 change)

1710200854896.png

Does the Jan 1 1969 change account for the 3 different length back-up light chrome housings?

1710201408513.png

1710201252962.png

Final part of the question

The 67 bulb holder has the following stamped on it

SAE-R-67B (pentastar)

Does the 69 bulb holder have the same part number but with SAE-R-69B on it?

and if it has another part number what is it?

1710201717731.png

Here is a picture of one of my 69 light sockets after I cleaned and painted it.
SAE-R-67B and 2606822 also what looks like maybe Pentastar CC AALG ??

1710210222895.png

Ok so now for the question of the day...

67 Barracuda has backup lights under the bumper

View attachment 1716220303

68 Barracuda the backup light is incorporated into the Brake/Tail light lens/housing

View attachment 1716220304

69 has under the bumper Back up lights like in 67 (BUT not the same chrome housing, and there was a Jan 1 1969 change)

View attachment 1716220301

Does the Jan 1 1969 change account for the 3 different length back-up light chrome housings?

View attachment 1716220307
View attachment 1716220305

Final part of the question

The 67 bulb holder has the following stamped on it

SAE-R-67B (pentastar)

Does the 69 bulb holder have the same part number but with SAE-R-69B on it?

and if it has another part number what is it?

View attachment 1716220309
67 used short Bezels
69 used long Bezels
Mounting holes are in the same location for both years.
Either will bolt up to either year but short is correct for 67 and long for 69.

-
Back