Resurrection of the old Reverse Light Thread

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
So, I am resurrecting a 2018 threat on the reverse/back-up lights.
Barracuda Reverse Lights

On my new-to-me '67 Notchback the reverse lights are not working.
I am diassembling them, and only finding one wire coming from the trunkleading to the lights.
The lights themselves have a several wire pigtail, at least one of which has an extra female connector.

**Problem is that I cannot detect any power in the wire coming from the trunk when the car is placed in reverse.
And now the tail lights are staying on. (So, I'll disconnect the neg battery cable for the time being)
:(

**At this point, I am thinking that the pigtail of wires is a multifunction connection that is designed to be used across the years, including when the reverse lights are part if the tail light assembly.
**Anyone with any knowledge on this???

And, to boot, the tail lightsockets are rusted solid.
When I do figure it out, I'll probably replace them with and LED socket and bulb.
Bezels and lenses are fine.

Last edited:
What do you mean, "several wire pigtail?" You talking about the wiring harness?

The stop / tail lamps are two lamps in one, and have two contacts plus the shell which is ground. So one wire in the harness is the two tail lamps, two more wires are left and right stop/ turn, and the last one would be for the reverse lamps, the sockets of which are SINGLE wire plus the shell

If you don't have a service manual/ wiring diagram, go over to MyMopar.com and download them, free

'67 and '69 have the same reverse lights

1699566956094.png

1699567040106.png

I redid my entire 67 harness, and as A56 said 67 is same as 69. They are a single wire bullet connector for each lamp. I believe the wires are purple 18ga. There are 2 small holes in the trunk pan on either side of the trunk latch.

Dammit sorry, I thought it was in there. Lemme see if I can find it. If you want pm me your email and I have the 67 supplement that wasnt included in the original 67 Plymouth manual.
Thanks, but going to that link, it never get to the trunk harness.
Are you talking about other "wiring harness" threads?

Back up lights...

Unless they did something different specifically for Barracuda in 67.

The back up light switch in on the column if column shift or in the console if console shift.

On the column shift there is a plastic pin on the shift column that if broken will not turn in the backup lights

The switch could be broken

Or wiring issues along the way.

There will not be any power coming from the backup lights the power will be coming from the switch.

Tail lights staying on...

Are you sure that it is the tail lights and not the brake lights?

Under the dash, accessable from the passenger side of the column, is a bolt that allows the brake light switch to be adjusted.

If it is really the tail lights that would most likely be the head light switch.

Since the lights assempbles themselves,sockets an no grommets were toast, I ordered a Ford Mustang replacement kit from Summit Racing, that has the shorter bezels like my Barracuda.
Looks exactly the same; watched a Youtube video on replacements. Mounting holes might be slightly off.
This particular model has the shorter, angled bezel.
The Scott Drake replacement have a little longer bezel, since they mount thru the back Mustang fender.

So, the wiring will be my only issue to solve.
Sorry! Wiring diagrams are Greek to me!
Back up lights...

Unless they did something different specifically for Barracuda in 67.

The back up light switch in on the column if column shift or in the console if console shift.

On the column shift there is a plastic pin on the shift column that if broken will not turn in the backup lights

The switch could be broken

Or wiring issues along the way.

There will not be any power coming from the backup lights the power will be coming from the switch.

Tail lights staying on...

Are you sure that it is the tail lights and not the brake lights?

Under the dash, accessable from the passenger side of the column, is a bolt that allows the brake light switch to be adjusted.

If it is really the tail lights that would most likely be the head light switch.
Thanks for the come back!

Taillights staying on....
Even though I had checked it once, I checked the hand brake a second time. Pulled it back on; then pushed in/off.
Brake lights went off this time. GOOD!
(maybe just some momentary glitch in the hand brake switch)
(In the garage, working by myself, I have the hand brake on, and block under the tires.)

Yes, I know the backup light power comes from the switch.
But, it the car is running, trans in reverse, there should be some power to the harness branch for the reverse lights, yes?

back in the dark ages i had a '67 notch. the back up lights defied working. according to pa inspection laws at the time, if they didn't exist, they didn't have to work. keep in mind that a lot of old stuff that didn't have them were still on the road. my back up lights mysteriously disappeared. to all you haters - it was just a car back then.

Even though I had checked it once, I checked the hand brake a second time. Pulled it back on; then pushed in/off.
Brake lights went off this time.
The hand brake has no effect on the brake lights

The only thing it does is light up the warning light in the dash.

If the e brake is effecting the brake lights you have some messed up wire.

Sorry! Wiring diagrams are Greek to me
Go to classiccarwiring.com and buy your cars diagram.

Super easy to follow.

Yes, I know the backup light power comes from the switch.
But, it the car is running, trans in reverse, there should be some power to the harness branch for the reverse lights, yes?
Correct, IF...

1. The backup light actuator on the column is intact.
  2. The backup light switch is functional
  3. the wiring is good
Then you should have power on the wire that feeds the lights.

You really need to learn about wiring diagrams. I would be happy to give you some pointers PM me if you want.

All of the above assumes that your wiring is stock and in good shape.

The hand brake has no effect on the brake lights

The only thing it does is light up the warning light in the dash.

If the e brake is effecting the brake lights you have some messed up wire.

Go to classiccarwiring.com and buy your cars diagram.

Super easy to follow.

Correct, IF...

1. The backup light actuator on the column is intact.
  2. The backup light switch is functional
  3. the wiring is good
Then you should have power on the wire that feeds the lights.

You really need to learn about wiring diagrams. I would be happy to give you some pointers PM me if you want.

All of the above assumes that your wiring is stock and in good shape.
So, probably was a momentary glitch with the brake pedal switch.

Do yourself a favor and put LED bulbs in the reverse lights.

Still offering to walk you through reading wiring diagrams... PM me and Ill give you my number and we can set up a video call

If he is that overwhelmed with the reverse lights, never mind. LMAO

IMHO.... the OP is overwhelmed already no need to add complexity to his issues.
No, not really.
The car is just a new puzzle for this modern MOPAR guy.
And, I'm just trying to solve too many problems all at once.

My guess is the old man, previous owner was oblivious to some of the things the car needed done.
But, thankfully, otherwise she's solid as a rock.

If he is that overwhelmed with the reverse lights, never mind. LMAO
If I do have to use the rusted up reverse lights, I can pretty easily convert them to LEDs.
On my 2003 PT turbo I bought the plastic outer headlight bezels for these Euro Morette headlights, and built the headlights myself.

5 coats of clear.jpg

tidying up the wiring.jpg

Finished 2.jpg

OK YOU GUYS.....ESPECIALLY ANYONE NEEDING NEW BACK-UP LIGHTS!!!!

I took a chance yesterday, after seeing a video about backup light replacement on Youtube, that was using a 66 Ford Mustang replacement in the video.
A closeup had the lights looking exactly like our Barracuda backups.
Since mine are rusted, and I would have to cut the receptacles to convert to Led......
I took a chance and ordered a set of these from Summit Racing in Arlington, TX, and got the already today (overnight t OKC with regular shipping)!!!!
(be careful, in this case the left and rights are a separate number)
Mr. Mustang MA12093 Mr. Mustang Backup Light Assemblies | Summit Racing

And, I'll be danged!!!! They are exactly the same size! And, the mounting posts are exactly the same positions and width apart as our Barracuda ones!
(Oops! I left the rubber seal on the new one in the photo.)

size comparison.jpg

There were only 2 modifications required to make this work.

1. The mounting posts are shorter
and needed lengthened to go hru the two layers of metal in or Cuda rear bumper area.
So, off I went to my local Ace Hardware with the light assembly to find extension posts.
The pictures show that I got a short coupler along with the screw end post in order to be the same length.
But, when I actually fiited them, I discovered I did not need the short piece.

mounting post comparison.jpg

extension posts.jpg

I'll be using the lock washer and flat washer from my Cuda set, since the hole I have in the second layer of metal is larger that the post head.

2. Second required modification is an aggressive grinding of the outside edges of the Mustang lights.
In the Mustang, these lights are mounted fairly near the outer edges of the car body, so there is some curvature there, and the Mustang lights fixture must be ground off creatively to make them mount flatter on the Cuda more centrally on the Barracuda rear end.
Pictures of the brinding I did on my lathe; the finalized and smoother with a Dremel band.
The rubber seals will accomodate any slight uneven areas.

edge that was ground off.jpg

ground off edge.jpg

I will post final "mounted" pictures later, as I had some scratches on the rear body that I will touch up/paint before mounting them permanently.
(paint not arrived yet)

Will work out the power issues later, as I've got a local old MOPAR fella friend whose son was a MOPAR tech, and is a whiz at electrical issues.
I'll lean on him!
:)

Last edited:
NASA we have a problem...

I approached Soonercruiser to loan me the Barracuda backup light he has so I could reverse engineer it.

He graciously did so.

When I start the RE process I always look for a part number to name the part.

In doing so I discovered the believed to be Barracuda housing is in fact a 67 Mustang housing.

C7ZB-15A509-A

PXL_20231117_155840544~2.jpg

PXL_20231117_155924958.jpg

Looks like a PO did the swap.

This also explains the 1 wire OEM chrysler pigtail vs the 2 wire pigtail issue.

I suspect Ford used one housing to power the other hence there being a male and female connector on the housing.

Swiped these images from Mattax's backup light thread 67, 69 Barracuda and similar early reverse lights

and the 67 housing is reproduced 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Back-up Light Bezels

67 Barracuda backup light...
1700240479964.png

Last edited:
-
Back